Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how often do V8 ignition modules break down?

tim_pato

Reaction score
Members Ride
daily-5.0 5spd vr ss clubodore, project-74 lh rana
Hi all, ive got a couple spare V8 ignition modules and a mate bought 1 off me and before I took the ad off ebay the other one got a bid for $100, now being a second year apprentice with a toddler running around I could use the dough, but im wondering would I be better off keeping it as a spare? how do they need to be replaced? do they just go kaput or where out over time?

grnvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v8 5spd 9c1
I just replaced mine. I guess it depends how old yours is. Its not uncommon for them to go once they get old. I was just driving alone and he engine went dead. When it did it the second time it didnt want to start again so i got out gave the ignition module a bash and it started again. Got a reco exchange module and no dramas since.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
it is an issue wit them alot of places do changeovers, also they can have bad connections also if the plug is not sealed and weather gets in...

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
watch them on ebay and see how quick they sell... common failure point... but like most things you may know of 1 person that has never had an issue over X years but you may know of 3 others that have had a problem multiple times in the same period..... eg. i have a 2007 xbox 360, it's never had rrod or stuffed up (except for the dvd rom), everyone else i know personally has replaced/sent back under warranty/binned theirs.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Between my wife's VS Clubsport and my VS Calais, both owned since new, we have had only one ignition module failure in 17 and 18 years respectively. Having said that, I always keep a replacement module in both cars just in case.

tim_pato

Reaction score
Members Ride
daily-5.0 5spd vr ss clubodore, project-74 lh rana
ok fair point, I guess then it would be wise for me to keep the spare lol.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I keep one in my boot when on roadtrips.....I learned that the hard way