Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How rare is tuxedo black?

Caldon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl Calais v8
Is there anything else you can tell about this model was there many made or is there any way to find out no information under carpet passenger side floor either cheers

Caldon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl Calais v8
Just checked tags again buddy feb 87 build

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
That's a tad unusual I must say as the plastic trim around the air vents is still black which it was on all the early 86 built vehicles. By the time 87 rolled around the plastic was the same colour as the rest of the Instrument Cluster cowl plastic, only the vents themselves were left black. It also has the black outer door handles (not chrome) which indicates its a late 86 onwards build.

As far as the Production Broadcast sheet is concerned I would also look underneath all the carpet sections as it's not always in the exact same place in every vehicle built. Many times it was slid underneath the RH rear carpet section or the drivers floor. It just depended on who was on that part of the production line on that day if you get what I mean. Some times the PB sheet was even screwed up and thrown in the bin. BTW my VL never had it placed in the car either and I had my VL from new so it had never been mucked around with whatsoever.

Last edited:

Caldon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl Calais v8
That's a tad unusual I must say as the plastic trim around the air vents is still black which it was on all the early 86 built vehicles. By the time 87 rolled around the plastic was the same colour as the rest of the plastic ware, just the vents themselves were left black. It also has the black outer door handles (not chrome) which indicates its a late 86 onwards build.

As far as the Production Broadcast sheet is concerned I would also look underneath all the carpet sections as it's not always in the exact same place. Many times it was slid underneath the RH rear carpet section or the drivers floor. It just depended on who was on that part of the production line on that day if you get what I mean. Some times the PB sheet was even screwed up and thrown in the bin. BTW my VL never had it placed in the car either and I had my VL from new.
That's a tad unusual I must say as the plastic trim around the air vents is still black which it was on all the early 86 built vehicles. By the time 87 rolled around the plastic was the same colour as the rest of the plastic ware, just the vents themselves were left black. It also has the black outer door handles (not chrome) which indicates its a late 86 onwards build.

As far as the Production Broadcast sheet is concerned I would also look underneath all the carpet sections as it's not always in the exact same place. Many times it was slid underneath the RH rear carpet section or the drivers floor. It just depended on who was on that part of the production line on that day if you get what I mean. Some times the PB sheet was even screwed up and thrown in the bin. BTW my VL never had it placed in the car either and I had my VL from new.
Thanks heaps for your info i think the door handles may have been painted it does not look factory an i will remove carpet in the hope to find the documentation if i do find it i will let u know thanks again for your help appreciate it regards Mark

mavro26

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl calais
I am wondering if anyone can help me out. I bought a vl 304 v8 tuxedo black Calais with full Brock bodykit as far as I was told it was factory fitted and hasn't been resprayed. I.D plate matches colour. It also has woodgrain steering wheel and dash the interior is a light blue/grey velour. I have had it for 4 years and am very interested in its history. I have had alot of people tell me that holden didn't release the vl in this colour then others have said it is rare, so if anyone can shed some light it would be very appreciated. Thanks

Hi Just letting you know that i was the original owner of this vehicle, i did all the work back in 1998