Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How rare would this SLE be

d_v_s_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH
View media item 530I am looking to buy an SLE. I have just looked at one for sale and am wondering how rare it might be.
It has been bogged and painted previously and is showing signs of rust again. Honestly it is pretty gone but repairable. Its got vk bumpers and is missing some of the sle chrome trims. It has a 202 and 4 speed in it. However when you look at the compliance plate it tells a different story. Can someone confirm what i am thinking that it should be 308 factory.
And should i buy it anyway.

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
It was originally Indigo blue over Mercury Silver.
Yes, factory 5 litre. Trimatic trans and 2.60 diff.
Even had Indigo blue leather seat facings, rest is vinyl factory too.

As for being rare, I've seen a fair few on some facebook groups.

d_v_s_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH
That is what i thought.
I hadn't seen the leather seats too often. It was a family pack or something like that.
Thinking that i will just have to buy it anyway. The price is right.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Seen a few,the real rarity would be finding one still in original & immaculate condition.

Majority were 253 powered...if buyers wanted a 308 a Brock was better alternative for the price jump.

Factory Indigo/silver cars have always been well liked combitination especially when still retaining sle goodies.

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
Majority were 253 powered...if buyers wanted a 308 a Brock was better alternative for the price jump.
\
I am not sure I agree with this statement entirely; Brocks were a different market altogether, aimed at young blokes with cash, they were basically a base model 'SL', with a tricked up donk and stiffer suspension; I mean VH Brock's didn't even have retractable seat belts in the rear (optional) whereas the SL/E had factory air and 'luxury' interior etc as standard. Although the SL/E had many options to choose from the target market was more executive level, especially the 308. Having said that I could never understand why anyone would ever opt for a 253 over a 308, it just doesn't make sense, I don't think the fuel consumption was so much better in a 253 that it would be enough to warrant buying one. Since the 253 was dropped after the VH I can only assume 253's were significantly cheaper than a 308, enough to encourage buyers to choose a 253 over a 308.....

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
One argument was holden needed get rid of leftover 253 engines before vk series hence most sle were built with them otherwise most would have ticked 5 litre option if given the choice.

Read that dealers were adding silver/mercury to move cars quicker like factory two tone versions.

5 litre option was big price jump...holden was set to kill off holden v8 with the vk series or maybe end it with the vh untill streetmachine mag got involved

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
nothing rare about a 382 pack VH SL/E

308 auto... in the upmarket sedan, pretty common

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Just looked on line sales for SLEs. Asking prices from $20K to $30K, and rare as. Stuff me ! Didn't think they were in the 'classic' category yet.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
don't believe it

the only people saying SL/Es are rare... are the sellers!

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Dunno, i consider mine rare Smitty