Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How To Remove Black Bumper Strips**UPDATED**use this one

benjamino

needing some more undies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 6spd + 7psi
Well,
After looking at the black strips on the side of my car for too long, and seeing numerous threads from guys wanting to remove those hideous strips,
i thought id give it a go myself.
The results were pretty pleasing, and besides a few lines and scratches on the paint, the black strips were gone.
But just to let you know YOUR PAINT WILL NOT BE PREFECT FROM WHERE THE STRIPS ONCE WERE.
Im only supplying this from my own personal exprience, and id prefer to have some small paint marks(from fishing line) than look at black strips.

So, you will need.
*Some 20lb fishing line..poundage is up to you, but youll need some tough stuff.
*Wax and grease remover(prepsol,etc)-several Cans
*Cut polish
*huge muscles
*Hairdryer-heat gun, etc.

Firstly
1.Get yourself a carton, cause its guna be a long ass job.

2.Make sure the area around the first strip you prepare to take off is generally clean.

3. Start on the black strip under the indicator, wedge your fishing line under the black strip, and slowly start to cut through the sikaflex, as you would per the debadging thread.

4.You might notice the fishing line cutting into the black strip, this will happen, and the best way to keep cutting through the sikaflex is to get the fishing line as close to the paint as possible.
**DO NOT PULL THE STRIP, THIS WILL CAUSE THE SIKAFLEX TO TOTALLY RIP OFF HUGE SECTIONS OF PAINT.**PATIENCE WILL SEE YOU WITH NO PAINT LOSS

5.When you think you cant cut anymore, because the fishing line keeps breaking, and your too tired, break off some more line, because patience is the key.
18102008241.jpg

6. Once youve cut the first part off, it should look something like this.
18102008242.jpg

7.Get your cut polish, and clean the area of dirt and grime etc, cut polish i found was best for this, and youll be left with that dreaded black stuff.

8.Use you hairdryer to heat up the sikaflex, not too much, just enough to make it loose.

9. Now with your wax n grease remover, you need to slowly but surely buff away layers of the sikaflex.
Spray, buff, spray, buff.
The more people you have, the better..
**ALTERNATIVELY, you could use a caramel wheel, but i had trouble finding one, so wax n grease remover was the only alternative.

10. After much buffing(a solid hour, maybe) you should be looking at this
18102008244.jpg

11. Repeat this step with following strips.
*Note that in the following picture there is a faint line there the fishing line cuts away a small layer of paint.
This is not noticeable from a short distance, and only upon very close inspection will it become noticeable.
Cut polish will remove the dirt,but you will be left with small scratches in the paint.
This will happen, and is such, a consequence of doing this yourself.
But i think its worth the effort.

20102008263.jpg

The finished product
20102008259.jpg

20102008261.jpg

VRV6BT1

Reaction score
Members Ride
S1 VR V6 BT1
I got a caramel wheel off ebay for 9 dollars.
Took like 10-15 mins to strip both sides.

VRV6BT1

Reaction score
Members Ride
S1 VR V6 BT1
I got a caramel wheel off ebay for 9 dollars.
Took like 10-15 mins to strip both sides.

Search for pin stripe or adhesive removal tool on the bay.

Static89

I Am Ironman.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S1
Thanx for this write up mate, your a legend

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
i like the look of it but with my VS im gonna leave them on as im sick of people hitting the car with there doors in car parks and the black strips are the only thing between there door and my car paint lol

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
....I followed this thread and am dissappointed to say that it didnt work out for me, small aprts of paint came off with the strips on my vn. Maybe there was an easier way.

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
no easier way vn manual other than ripping them off and respraying. These strips were never meant too come off

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
no easier way vn manual other than ripping them off and respraying. These strips were never meant too come off

Tis a pitty..was like all hyped up this morn to get em off and **** hit the fan lol so i decided time to paint it, guna try this roller technique, u get wat u pay for but i cn always sand it back if i want uno if it dusnt turn out good, but hope that works out, cars all exterior stripped and going to start sanding tomos.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
:flame::flame:You could try running some petrol olong the top of the strip and letting it soak in. this will soften the sikaflex. might take a few goes, and just do one door at a time so your car doesn't become a bonfire. Reason i think this will work is cos the only bit of my strip that is starting to peel off is straight under the petrol filler... so it seems like all those times i filled it and the petrol splashed out and dribbled down the side has debonded the strip. No smoking while you do this ey !! Not sure what the petrol will do to the paint either.:whistling

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Is there enough gap around the edges to slide a piece of paper between the strip and the door? If you could do that, then mask off all the surround, give it a bit of a light sanding, then spray it you'd have colour coded strips which wouldn't look too bad, wouldn't bugger any of the paintwork and protect you from parking lot retards!