Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

"How To" Remove Indicator Stalk VT-VX *Detailed*

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
How to remove indicator/wiper stalk from a VT-VX.

For those of you who wish to change an indicator stalk or wiper stalk, I have written up this "how to" to show you the basics.

Tools Needed
* 1 x Philips Screwdriver

Step 1.
Pull the lever down on the bottom of the steering column and push down on the steering wheel. This will drop the steering column.

Step1-1.jpg
Step1-1-1.jpg

Step 2.
Place your thumbs on both sides of the top plastic trims as shown in the images below.

Step2-1.jpg
Step2-2-1.jpg

Push in firmly with both thumbs and then push up. (you may hear a click sound)
The top plastic trim will lift up from the steering wheel side.

Step2-3-1.jpg
Step2-4-1.jpg

The trim will then slide out toward the steering wheel and lift out.

Step5-1.jpg

Step 3.
With both hands either side of the fuse cover below, Pull out and down to drop the fuse cover.

Step5-2.jpg

Step 4.
Looking from underneath the steering column, you will notice two (2) hooks at the steering wheel side of the bottom trim.
At the back you will notice one (1) screw.

Step6-1.jpg
Step6-2.jpg

With your philips screwdriver, undo the screw at the back of the bottom trim.

Step6-3.jpg

Step 5.
With both hands either side of the bottom plastic trim, pull back toward the steering wheel until the trim is released from the two hooks underneath.
Once the trim is released it can be pulled downward and will come out.

Step7-1.jpg
Step7-2.jpg

Step 6.
Looking at the stalk that you want to remove, There are two (2) clips (one (1) either side)

Step8-1.jpg
Step8-2.jpg

Undo these two (2) clips by holding your hand over them and pulling the stalk as pictured below.

step8-3.jpg

Step 7.
Looking at the stalk again, You will see another two (2) clips either side (one (1) each side) that are holding the wire connections to the stalk.

Step9-1.jpg

Unclip them and pull the wire connections off the stalk.

Step10-1.jpg
Step10-2.jpg

Ok now your ready to install the new stalk.
Simply reverse all instructions listed above to re-install.

Please take note when re-installing, the hooks pictured below must match up between the top and bottom plastic trim.

Step11-1.jpg

Other Notes:
For this "how to" you will notice I have removed the wiper stalk.
The wiper stalk and the indicator/cruise stalk are exactly the same when it comes to removal/installation.

darren44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 wagon Berlina
great write up
every time I cancel my indicators at night it goes to high beam like when you do a friendly flash to warn others of a police radar.

Rossi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute
Thanx for the instructions, i high beam every car in front of me when my indicator cancels so this will come in handy to replace it..

Stretcher Bearer

A.R.N.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SOCOG Exec 9C1
Great write-up!

Worked like a charm and saved me a packet. The stalk was $50 at a Holden Parts.

Last edited:

CNsylvester

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS long bed ute
I"ve searched and can't find a similar "how to" for VS.

My question is whether changing a VS would be much the same - in terms of popping off the top plastic cover with thumbs?

Regards

CNsylvester

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS long bed ute
ok, today I tackled my VS stalk replacement - I used the above info and I think the VS is slightly easier than other models. (I didn't have to touch the fuse area, just to the two plastic shrouds covering the steering column between the S/wheel and the dash)

#1 Phillips Screwdriver and a small precision standard screw driver
#2 Tilt steering wheel as low as poss
#3 Undo 5 phillips screws all underneath the column (you'll see the 5 screws if you look at the plastic shroud from underneath)
#4 Either use your thumbs as described earlier or I used my precision screwdriver and slid it along the plastic to separate the top from the bottom, I started at the area closest to the dash board and worked my may back, very gently and no force was necessary
#5 Lift top plastic up (mine wouldn't totally come out because the top was attached by vinyl to the area under the speedo, no issue thou)
#6 Move the bottom plastic slightly down and away from the ignition cyclinder (remove key!)
#7 So you should now have the top and bottom plastic open like a jaw but still largely hugging the column. Not as good as totally removing them, but it wasn't essential in my situation.
#8 Release the old stalk by pinching the retaining clips (Study your new one first to identity where these clips are)
#9 The stalk will then happily release from its position but still be attached by 3 wire harnesses
#10 release the two harnesses directly connected to the stalk, and then follow the extra thick wire under the the column and trace it as it crosses over to the left hand side of the column and release this connection using your precision screw driver
#11 Now that you have released the stalk from the 3 wiring harnesses, remove it and start to install the new one!

Before reassembling the plastic shrouds, TEST YOUR NEW STALK!

Reassemble is the same as above but here are some extra tips:

Once the stalk is in home and in position and wired up x3, start bringing the top and bottom plastic shrouds back together around the steering column, mine became a little tricky due to the long plastic securing lugs that are part of the inside (mounts) of the plastic shroud. Take your time. I kept giggling the plastic gently and they found their natural place by itself, once the the top and bottom were aligned, I reinstalled the screws and the rest is easy.

Hold the top and bottom together so there is no gap, check the rubber boot of both the new stalk and your windscreen wiper stalk are 'home' in their correct position and re- install the same 5 screws again and thats it!

Last edited:

seshoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT Exec

Thanks for this mate, just changed my blinker indicator took 10 mins following this guide. I thought the steering wheel had to come off :D
you saved me a lot of time.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Another one saved :D

Word of warning though... either the price of the stalks has gone up or the price varies from dealer to dealer. I paid $97 (ouch) this morning for one, I'm sure I could have found it cheaper elsewhere but have neither the inclination to do so or the time (really wanted it done today, was only a matter of time before i got booked for the high beams).

Having said all that, the guide is fabulous and even a complete mechanical numpty like me had it completely swapped over in 15 minutes flat - the hardest part was just refitting the lower bit of trim (those clips are buggers).