Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to remove a stuck ignition barrel VN-VS

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
If you go to start your car one day and the key does not turn you ignition barrel is most probably stuffed, first try wriggling it and see if it turns if that does not work then try spraying CRC, WD 40, or better yet dry lube/graphite grease and try to turn it again. If this works you must renew the barrel ASAP If possible don`t turn it to the off position, grab a small wire or paper clip and then take off the plastic shroud around the ignition, now find a small hole on the side of the ignition barrel housing facing you and insert it in there and push now with the other hand try pulling out the key (while still in the ON position ) and the barrel will/should come out of the housing (attached to the key). Take the old barrel to Holden and get them to fit new slides and fiddly bits to it this should cost about $30- $40.

Now if theses tips did not work your barrel is thrashed and needs to replaced here`s a guide to help you get it out.

You will need
1. Roll of alfoil
2. A 100mm angle grinder with a cutting blade
3. full plastic face safety visor (not essential)
4. A new barrel housing part No GM 92046124 cost $100
A new barrel (blank) part No GM92048530 cost $60
Sundry ignition slides springs and fiddly bits part No GM 90052550 cost $8.00
5. A new Sheer bolt ,THEY SHOULD GIVE YOU IT FOR FREE OR AT WORST A $1.00.
Also Holden will charge you $30 if they put together the blank barrel to suit your key, but I did it my self and found it frustrating but fun.

Right familiarize yourself with the ignition It`s made up of 2 outer pieces the Upper strap that goes over the steering column and the Lower barrel housing that goes under the column that also houses the barrel (hence the name) they are connected by a bolt called a sheer bolt it`s called that because the top grip-able part of the bolt is sheered off when tightened at the factory leaving no grip-able surface to undo it (aids security).

Right`o, line the whole drivers side with alfoil (including the seat) and grab the angle grinder. Now U want to cut through the sheer bolt near the highest part of the lower housing where its attached by the bolt to the upper strap, you want to just shave the lowest part of the upper strap when you cut through it so you can use it again. You will notice that the upper strap indent`s into the lower housing like a bowl and the sheer bolt sits in this bowl so just imagine were the Angle grinder blades are going to slice when you go through. Ok mark it and cut, it should take about 5mins of hard cutting.
Once off the new housing will fit perfectly ( note the steering lock button on the housing and the hole it fits into under the coloum )
but if you can help it don`t ruin the upper strap otherwise you will need to buy another one Part No GM 92046132 cost $13 and will be a pain to fit even when using a G- clamp to hold them together while you try to attach the new sheer bolt.
because your old one has been slightly stretched to fit the coloum and is an easy glove like fit.
Get holden to help you about the best tool and method to use that tool to fit the sheer bolt as the tops are fragile and could snap half way through attaching it.

P.S I used a normal bolt with a phillips head screw driver head on it and was easy to put on, so if it happens to me or the next owner of this car again I/they don`t need to use the angle grinder to get it (the barrel) off just simply undo it. though it makes the car easier to steal though people dont need take this off to hot wire the car they only need to get this off to disable the sterring lock so they can drive it with no key and be able to steer. I personaly just rely on the deadlock function on the door ( dukes of hazard anyone ) and the Imobiliser. Plus I live In a small W.A town and keep it in a locked shed.

P.P.S I have pics ( Including exactly where to cut ) just send me a private message and I will put up associated pics for this thread for 24 -48 hrs max. as I need the space for other pics on other threads.

GOOD luck fellow commo-nuts.

Last edited:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Two other methods for removing the sheer bolt.

1: Centre punch the head, and drill the head out with a 5mm drill bit, then an 8mm just enough to take the head off, the strap will come away from the column, then just unscrew the remainder of the bolt.

2: Using a G clamp, clamp the strap tighter so that you are taking the pressure off the sheer bolt, then using a small sharp chisel, or a punch, hit the head of the bolt in an anti clockwise direction. It should come undone.

I have had better success with drilling the head out, I have tried the G clamp method, but the bolt was too tight to move.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Two other methods for removing the sheer bolt.

1: Centre punch the head, and drill the head out with a 5mm drill bit, then an 8mm just enough to take the head off, the strap will come away from the column, then just unscrew the remainder of the bolt.

2: Using a G clamp, clamp the strap tighter so that you are taking the pressure off the sheer bolt, then using a small sharp chisel, or a punch, hit the head of the bolt in an anti clockwise direction. It should come undone.

I have had better success with drilling the head out, I have tried the G clamp method, but the bolt was too tight to move.
Yer I`ve heard of both of those the G-clamp/hole punch one is even here in the how to`s, but both of those did not work for me and were harder than my method to preform and complete, this just add`s another option and as I said to me it`s the easiest. I`d only try and drill it out if I can`t get hold of a Angle Grinder, though they only start from $30 at most hardware stores.
so unless your in the middle of nowhere( with an internet connection..lol )
You can easierly buy one.

Last edited:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
But drilling the head off the bolt negates the need to purchase a new clamp setup if you destroy it in the process.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
everytime ive done or seen one be done, a chisel, small hammer and a small centre punch

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
But drilling the head off the bolt negates the need to purchase a new clamp setup if you destroy it in the process.

You would still have to buy a lower barrel housing which is the most expensive part anyway.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It's a good "How To" anyway. Well written.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
As I say it`s the person`s perogative.

lol yeh i know was just sayin that ive never seen it done any other way. so thats something for me to try at work next time one comes in with a stuck ignition:thumbsup: and it is very detailed

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
lol yeh i know was just sayin that ive never seen it done any other way. so thats something for me to try at work next time one comes in with a stuck ignition:thumbsup: and it is very detailed
Lol cool,but if your going to do it a lot (been a workshop) better get shares in multix cause your going to use alot of alfoil...LOL :thumbsup::D