Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How repair reverse light switch on Manual VT??

Sam_Vt5spd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec
My reverse lights don't come on and the problem is the reverse switch needs lookin at. Can anyone give me a general run down on the easiet was to go about this?

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Um, most likely problem is in the switch at the base of the transmition stick. Auto right?

Well yea, there's a good how to on how to get into the VN-VS ones. It should be roughly the same! You sure it's just not the lights though or the cabling? Does the dash pick up it goes in neutral (if yours shows that)?

vtmanualv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HBD 3.8L
im pretty sure its a manual (look at his user name)
The reverse light switch is on the gearbox itself, should be on the side cant remember which side.
You could try unplug the switch then short out the wiring, see if the reverse lights come on, then you need a switch.
Otherwise the problem is elsewhere.

hitman1979

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
the reverse light switches are not a servicable unit just get a new one from holden they arent expensive

the switch is located on the drivers side of the gearbox all most at the top just jack up the car put stands under it get under the gearbox use a spanner to undo the switch, screw the new one in and plug the wiring into it and presto all done.

its a 5 min job to do as long as the engine and box are not hot

Sam_Vt5spd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec
Ok so its on the outside.. No worries. Thanks

Qldvespanut

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTS 97
Would anyone have a pic of the switch on the gearbox so's I know exactly what I'm looking for please.