Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How should I fix toolbox to ute tub?

Kersh

Reaction score
Website
www.kersh.biz
Members Ride
VE SS Ute '08
Hi All,

I want to install a lockable toolbox into the back of my ute, but need to secure it down so it won't slide around and cant be lifted out by would-be theives.

Any tips on doing this? tech screws/rivets? silicon to waterproof holes? or how to watch out for any wiring or fual tank drilling etc. How have you installed your toolbox?

Cheers.

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
First thing that pops to mind would be some sort of latch that you can padlock, Im sure there will be times when you will need to move it.

Short of welding though any good pull of the tool box with rivets or tech screws will some straight out.

peteyb12

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V UTE
rubber mat on bottom and chain it to your tie down points.

Kersh

Reaction score
Website
www.kersh.biz
Members Ride
VE SS Ute '08
rubber mat on bottom and chain it to your tie down points.

Yeah that might be the go.

Also I have a 700mm long tool box but want somthing bigger in the future (1200-1400mmL), any suggestions on good polace to get checker plate steel box or similar, bunnings and trade stores seem a little pricey to me.

fuzzy2308

Reaction score
Members Ride
Plastic datsun
I pop riveted mine to the tray in my old vs but in guessing since you have a VE you probably wouldn't want to do that.
Your best bet yould be a chain and a rubber mat so it doesn't slide around and scratch the tray.

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Maybe weld some nuts under the tray (like the do to seat bolts) so you can bolt it down then just unbolt it when you want it out!

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
2 or 3 tie down points that are able to be accessed directly through the bottom of the tool box (pretty straight forward to install- just have slots in your toolbox lined up with where you install the tie downs), and then secure each one with a padlock that sits in the bottom of the box.

Secure as you'll get without actually somehow welding the box directly to the floor, but also easily removable and doesnt leave unslightly holes if you ever want to on sell later. Any new ute owner will appreciate the extra tie points anyway.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute

sclarke7171

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SIDI UTE, Leather and crap
What about a nice toolbox not a crap bunnings tin box

I had this made for my VE. It is shaped to fit in perfect and 4 pieces of angle hold it to the original mounts. Plus if I take the ladder rack off I can put my cover back on and it looks like a normal ute

c094754f-9184-7566.jpg

c0947555-91a4-1345.jpg

Clarkie

sclarke7171

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SIDI UTE, Leather and crap
I had a custom box made for mine in Melb. I hated the thought of a cheap tin box from bunnings

This box sits in neat and is bolted in using factory mounts
I designed the box and had it made for me. But he still has the plans so he can make you one.
Best part is after I take the ladder racks off I can put the torneau back on. So I can use is for show as well

c0947551-acb3-4d82.jpg

The mounting points
c094754f-ad05-5eee.jpg

Clarkie