Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how to tell your about to buy a dodgey car

vnpedro

will always be a F*^D man
Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN EXEC 3.8
hey everyone, just thought id jump on while im at work (obviously not working) and share a bit of advice with anyone that may be looking for second hand commo or has been stooged before

i and alot of people like me have unfortunately brought our own fair share of dodgey cars so heres a few things to look for

• squekung doors – the door may have been replaced due to an accident or from people leaning on the door
• scratches on cross support bar between the front and rear windows – this is uasualy indicates that the car has been broken into, nobody likes to buy a car that has been stolen hence the saying “drive it like you stole it” having said that ive im sure everyone has had to break into there own car so check other areas that theifs may have tampered with i.e steering colum, door locks etc,
• dents or scratches – just beware that some small scrtches or dents may look innocent enough at that time, but how many people have ever brought a car and gone to get a roady and been told that the chassis has been twisted due to a hard collision and not been able to get it registerd with out seeing an engineer
• rust in spare wheel cavity – check the seal that lines the inner lip of the boot if it is leaking then there is a chance that there may be or has been rust in the spare wheel cavity or anywhere else in the boot another way to tell is look for stains on the carpet or lining my have been lifted. And yes before you ask yes, this has happened to me.
• cracks in windows – we all know how little cracks stretch
• general maintenance – check if the vehicle has a service history, i.e wheel allingment or service reminder stickers should be current if the vehicle is registerd current
• ‘step on it’ – if the owner of the vehicle isn’t dodgey and he knows it it, then he/she wont mind If you start it and depresss the accelerator around ¾ to full revs for around 3 seconds (obviously the vehicle must be out of gear) if the engine is in fair to good condition then it should;
*be clear of flat spots
*should not blow smoke (pistion rings, valves etc)
* check interior for rust, you should always check for rust, when doing so also check around the outside of the door trims

Anway in conclusion

Try to avoid buying an unregistered vehicle unless its for wrecking

Don’t be afraid to ask questions, if the person your buying the car from is laget then
he wont hesitat in telling what minor problems the vehicle may have or has had, this
this should also be in the vehicles service history

make sure you COMPLETELY go over the vehicle youself

rawsonn

wants to know more
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina
basic go through but i vote this be made a sticky

thanks for taking the time mate

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Another tip (a Ford dealer told me actually! I've since confirmed it from a real car salesman) is telling if it's been in an accident and sustained frontal damage.

On the compliance plate (the metal plate usually on the right of the radiator support bar, front of the engine) there are two rivets holding it there. Holden attaches them with hexagonal rivets (they have semi-flat edges), which are apparently next to impossible to get hold of unless you are Holden, whereas smash repairers when replacing or respraying the bar will almost always detach the compliance plate, then reattach it to the new/repaired bar, using standard round rivets.

So if your car has round rivets on the compliance plate, chances are it's had a smash!

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Not bad - just two things I'd like to disagree with:

: most old commodores have squeaky doors :p The hinge pins rust, and they squawk like a stuck pig.

: Anyone who lets you rev a cold car up to 3/4 - full revs is an idiot :p Be a bit suss about the treatment of the car if they are all cool with that.

/me puts away his bucket and spade

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
If you come to look at my VP and hold it on the limiter for 3 seconds, you'll get a punch in the face :), and my doors almost fall off the pins are that worn :p

Cody

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator / HQ 5.0L Tonner
or if the inside walls are worn out on the rear it needs a camber kit..

VSIIBerlinaL67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
my mate brought a car later to find that it had been in a rear end smash and was cut in half and another half welded back on. the weld was all rusty and was cracked half way threw. lol

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
Most people on here wouldnt even know what rust looked like letalone how to tell weather a car is smoking....

Be safe and pay to have a qualified mechanic look over the car if you are unsure

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
If you come to look at my VP and hold it on the limiter for 3 seconds, you'll get a punch in the face :), and my doors almost fall off the pins are that worn :p

AHAHAHAHA:rofl::rofl::rofl: