Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How the F do you remove the harmonic balancer??

GMHVF6

Naturally stroked
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Storm
Someone please help me on how to remove a harmonic balancer.

I removed the centre bolt with a torque wrench easily enough.

I fitted the harmonic balancer puller attempted to start pulling it off and the whole crank just turns. How do you stop it from turning?

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport M6, Subaru Brumby-daily, TM Magna
you used a torque wrench to remove the crank bolt?? wtf? On a 6 speed car, put the shifter in 4th gear and make sure the parking brake is on tight. On an A4 car, you'll need to drop the starter and either install the flywheel locking tool or wedge a screwdriver in. The starter is held in by 2 13mm bolts for 99+ models or 2 15mm bolts for 98 models and is on the bottom rear passenger side of the engine. You can leave the wires attached.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
Good way to stuff a torque wrench undoing bolts with it...

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
Or breaker bar on the nut against the chassis rail and kick the engine to crack it. But make sure the bar is on the correct side so it doesn't fly around. And maybe pull the fuel pump fuse as insurance against it starting.
With a manual, I've always just put it in first gear.

GMHVF6

Naturally stroked
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Storm
woop. miss wrote that. it was infact a breaker bar. was put against the chassis and engine cranked with fuel pump relay unplugged. not to mention the CAS is also unplugged (thats why the balancer is coming off to start with)

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
You need a 3 bolt type puller to remove these balancers properly.The 3 jawed type puller can stuff the balancer as the balancer is made from two pieces of metal joined by rubber,and if the balancer is pulled off the engine from around its outside ,the inner metal part of the balancer can seperate from the rubber part which will render the balancer unusable...These balancers arent cheap to replace either.($300)
With the 3 bolt type puller,you will need three 1/4 UNF bolts about 2 inches long.These bolts screw into the slots around the balancer so it can be pulled off with the puller.I got my 3 bolt type puller from supercheap,it only cost around $20,it came with some bolts,but none had the 1/4 UNF type thread I needed for the commodore balancer,so I went to a hardware store and bought the right bolts for a couple of bucks..Ive used it heaps of times,and it works excellent every time,Ive even used it on engines that have been out in the weather for a couple of years and the balancer has still come straight off no worries..To stop the engine turning,get an old serpentine belt and wrap it around the balancer and then twist it up really tight with a steel bar so it cant slip,and get someone to hold it,this should be enough to stop the engine from turning whilst you remove the balancer,or as already mentioned,you can remove the starter motor and jamb the engine up with a screwdriver locked into the flex plate..

Last edited:

neet_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 XR6T & 1990 VN dragcar project
By the power of Greyskull.............It's the only way

GMHVF6

Naturally stroked
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Storm
2 lots of mechanics and myself failing to remove it. ended up paying a local place to do it for me. Quite sad. i finally came to something on my car i couldn't do myself. Oh well. first and last time im ever paying a mechanic for labour

machone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VHSLE/VXSS/VXEXEC
its pretty much like brett said but the belts a good idea never thought of that...when i was young and stupid i once put a screwdriver in the spark plug hole as i couldnt be fagged getting under the car it stopped the engine moving i got the balancer off which was great but the broken screw driver in the spark plug hole wasnt neither was the hole in the piston top..lesson dont be lazy and cut corners ....its funny now but it wasnt back then lol