Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how the feck do you get the back door handle off???

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
so there is a thing that looks like a clip on the rod joining the handle with the locking mechanism, if i can pop that off then at least i can get to the bolt behind it, but OMFG, how does it come off?

are there any tricks? or am i going about it all wrong???

cheers

100_3343.jpg

Panama

Reaction score
Members Ride
'87 VL Calais with L67
there is a fork at the bottom section of that copper coloured clip. you need to unclip that from the rod, then loop it up off the top of the rod to remove it.

you need a 10mm 1/4 drive socket and a long extension from memory to undo the 2 nuts on the handle.

then pull the handle to outside the door frame, and if you actuate the handle, so the arm moves, (as if you were trying to open the door) then you can twist the handle around and off the top of the rod.

be careful of your paintwork, the studs on the handle can scratch it. also try not to lose the gasket from the door handle.

hope this helps mate.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

vk.jonno

:):):)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore, hq one tonner, hj ute,
They pissed me off to -.-

Oi do u wet Ur floor Wen u paint mate?

vkwalks39

NUCKING FUTS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V8 / VH V8 / VR V8
ari a 10mm open end spanner and be prepare to lose sum blood cheif.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
lol you guys! it was easy. no blood. and putting it back should be just as easy.

1. get a blade screw driver in the outer side of the clip on the base of the rod from the handle. seperate the top of the clip, hook the rod with a coat hanger wire and pull. then unclip the bottom of the clip and the rod slides off
2. unscrew the 3 screws holding the door latch mechanism in place
3. unclip the door lock rod
4. slide the door latch assembly towards the front of the door and look through the hole that the striker goes in and you have a clean view of the 10mm nut holding the door handle on
5. use a long extension socket and its completely accessable.

the door handle comes out with the rod still attached. the front 10mm bolt is easily accessable anyways, no trick there. the rod will pop back into the latch mechanism without too much trouble.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
yep it comes out easy, I just flicked the pin out of the clip with a screwdriver - wait until you try to put it back together ;)
pushing that pin back into the clip is a bitch, mainly because it's in a **** of a spot!