Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How the hell do i get the car to shift to 4th gear at high speed?!

DTM87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Chevrolet Lumina S V6 (VY Commodore)
I can max mine to 195, dont really want to push it more. They have a hard enough life with the heat.

How many km's?

Trying to find anywhere that will tune anything is another story. Are you in DXB or AUH?

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
wont have to worry about it really when the kangaroo steps out in front of you lol. You do know cops read these forums.

I'm sure there are heaps of Kangaroo's in Dubai.

Maybe you should read the forum first before commenting. I'm sure a police officer would be happy to teach you how to read.

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 & 2006 Nissan Patrol ST
wont have to worry about it really when the kangaroo steps out in front of you lol. You do know cops read these forums.

Dont think he is going to have too much trouble with kangaroos in UAE (United Arab Emirates) also probably not too many cops over there on the forum either... not only that but over there the police are more than happy for you to reach these speeds...

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I owned a brand new 1988 model VN V6 calais when they first came out, which was back in the day when you could still leagally use radar detectors here in NSW. I used to sit on 180 + km/h nearly everywhere I went, and it wouldnt pull past 190 or so without changing back to 3rd. Downhill it would change up into 4th, but on the flat or uphill it would shift back to 3rd most of the time, which was up near the redline if I rememebr correctly. It would drop back to around 4700 in 4th at 190. The VN didnt have the electronic trans, but it was still virtually the same 4 speed auto transmission.
I gotta say, I love the comments like " these cars arent made to be driven at those speeds" etc etc. The calais loved sitting on 160 or more, and could easily do it for hours and hours on end, and it wasnt even that bad on fuel running it at those speeds compared to some V8's Id owned... This country could easily have the best highway system in the world, simiar to germanys autobahns etc, with open speed limits, but the stupid aussie governtments are too busy lining their own pockets with cash to build roads and highways or freeways that would be suitable for open speed limits in middle lanes. Its the same with the rail system, we should have 400 km/h bullet or maglev trains running between all capital cities, but that will never happen either whilst the aussie public lets these greedy governments sit back, line their own pockets and do nothing for the place.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
@ V8 commodore I watched this lately its in Saudi Arabia but you get the picture.

Last edited by a moderator:

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I owned a brand new 1988 model VN V6 calais when they first came out, which was back in the day when you could still leagally use radar detectors here in NSW. I used to sit on 180 + km/h nearly everywhere I went, and it wouldnt pull past 190 or so without changing back to 3rd. Downhill it would change up into 4th, but on the flat or uphill it would shift back to 3rd most of the time, which was up near the redline if I rememebr correctly. It would drop back to around 4700 in 4th at 190. The VN didnt have the electronic trans, but it was still virtually the same 4 speed auto transmission.
I gotta say, I love the comments like " these cars arent made to be driven at those speeds" etc etc. The calais loved sitting on 160 or more, and could easily do it for hours and hours on end, and it wasnt even that bad on fuel running it at those speeds compared to some V8's Id owned... This country could easily have the best highway system in the world, simiar to germanys autobahns etc, with open speed limits, but the stupid aussie governtments are too busy lining their own pockets with cash to build roads and highways or freeways that would be suitable for open speed limits in middle lanes. Its the same with the rail system, we should have 400 km/h bullet or maglev trains running between all capital cities, but that will never happen either whilst the aussie public lets these greedy governments sit back, line their own pockets and do nothing for the place.

I'm with you, it's nuts to think Commodores can't do higher speeds like 160+ for sustained periods of time. Just doing a run down a dragstrip my Clubsport is very stable and actually quiet at 160 and really wants to just keep accelerating.

As for the OP's stuck in 3rd, I'd get it checked, might need some sort of adjustment - I know the Clubsport drops back to 2nd at speed when I give it a bootful and can take a while to shift back up if I don't back off.