Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How the hell do i get the car to shift to 4th gear at high speed?!

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
This is getting extremely frustrating. The car down shifts to 3rd gear after around 160km/h and stays at 3rd gear at speeds above 160km/h
It only shifts to 4th gear if i reduce speed under 160ish.

My Nissan sunny 1.6 used to do 220km/h for 5 hours straight without breaking a single sweat!
I mean the vy should do 200, not just 160! Stupid a** engine if thats all it can handle!

Im using the VY for road trips that i take every week. And it not being able to go any faster than 160 is costing me 3 hours one way. 6 total.

I dont know if it is the ecu that is programmed to down shift to 3rd after 160 or if the engine simply does not have enough power to push the car past 160 at 4th gear. Whichever case it is, what can i do/modify/change in order to cruise at 200 on 4th gear?

Cheers!

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Why are you driving at 160 km/hr , for long periods , thats a good way to blow your engine , please desist .

Tim Smtih

Sexy Man
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Members Ride
just buy a v8 lol
10 characters.

Last edited:

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
I am now not sure whether freefallin is trolling or what , either way the Commodore in stock form is not built for the flogging you are giving it .:banstick:l

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
you will find you have to push your foot down so far to do those speeds that the ecu is seeing a high enough throttle position reading to downshift to 3rd .most likely fixable with a tune

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride

OK , you may need to upgrade your memcal / PCM , you can get them through Mace Engineering who are a member on this forum , that will give a bit more power as well as sorting out the gear shifts as they will become crisper if that makes sense . But honestly mate , driving at those speeds you are not doing the cars running gear any favours

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
you will find you have to push your foot down so far to do those speeds that the ecu is seeing a high enough throttle position reading to downshift to 3rd .most likely fixable with a tune
Now we're talking! A response that addresses the issue :)

What do you suggest for someone that has no place to tune at? And plz dont say im screwed

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
OK , you may need to upgrade your memcal / PCM , you can get them through Mace Engineering who are a member on this forum , that will give a bit more power as well as sorting out the gear shifts as they will become crisper if that makes sense . But honestly mate , driving at those speeds you are not doing the cars running gear any favours

got any contact? Would appreciate that!
And i know its not exactly the best way to drive the car but thats the only reason i got the car, these high speed road trips. I got another car for my daily driver. So for now, the VY's only purpose is this. So i will drive it like this till it gives up, then ill either change the engine or the whole car.