Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how thick should front brake pads be?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Hmmm interesting my last three sets of QFM's and last two sets of Bendix 4WD pads never came with shims. First pad change on the ute it had shims from previous owner. But I chucked them away as I haven't used shims in well over 10 years and never had a noise problem. That's why I thought it must have been something cheap pads come with.
All bendix pads have backing shims these days. Gee it's probably back when I was an apprentice when they didn't have them.
Backing shims are used by the OEM's because they work and OEM pads are better than any aftermarket crap you'll buy.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Just to add to the story with the use of bonding materials used between the pads and piston, that was done purely for assembly line ease.

This way the donkey's on the line could simply slap the calliper straight over the rotor without the pads moving around and requiring any corrective attention in the process.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Previous owner used orange RTV and the shims on mine. Not sure what he was thinking. Like I said never used either on my last three or four cars and never had squealing. Had groaning once but that was because I thought it would be a good idea to use loctite in the slide pin bolts. I read somewhere it was a good idea, almost stupidist idea I have ever tried. Had to wire wheel the bolts and slide pins to fix the issue, groaned like a bastard until I fixed it.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Brake thickness comes down to brand and compound they use and quality control I suppose, around 11-12.5 be common sizes. Simple is google the brand and compare them to another brand. Never used baking shims only anti rattle plates.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Never used baking shims only anti rattle plates.

Getting technical with names now are we? The manual calls them anti-chatter shims not plates. So stick that in your pipe and smoke it. ;) If you like I can even quote the manual "do not omit anti-chatter shims".

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Several brands of pads now have a rubber backing as well. It's all there too absorb any tiny little vibrations of the pad when the piston retracts after braking creating this little gap between pass and piston. The vibration causes squeal and dealers don't want you coming back with complaints about it so add the shims as a preventive measure. I'd guess they also help his the pad perfectly square to the rotor surface which will give you that little bit better response and brake feel when you touch the brake pedal. So I keep using the original Holden shims on whatever pads I fit.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Brake shims work much the same way to adjust otherwise normal brakes. On the most basic level, for many new vehicles with new brake parts, brake shims function as anti-rattle pads. They keep the pads and rotors from banging against each other or squealing.

Not all brake pads come with shims as they aren't required and function perfectly without needing them. … This doesn't require the use of disc brake lube, but you can still apply a thin coating on top of the brake backing plate. Lastly, there are also titanium brake pad shims which act as an improved thermal barrier.

An anti-rattle clip, also called a brake abutment clip. Anti-rattle clip shown in land of brake calliper bracket. is used to prevent brake pad looseness and noise when mounted in a brake calliper or brake calliper bracket.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Getting technical with names now are we? The manual calls them anti-chatter shims not plates. So stick that in your pipe and smoke it. ;) If you like I can even quote the manual "do not omit anti-chatter shims".
Sorry for not putting the shim in front of plate as I thought as I already placed shim prior you would of worked out that I was referring to shim plate. Oh you can call them a biscuit all I care. Didn't know they could talk, lol what do they say to you, rattle is a better word as chatter can mean 50 things.:)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Brake shims work much the same way to adjust otherwise normal brakes. On the most basic level, for many new vehicles with new brake parts, brake shims function as anti-rattle pads. They keep the pads and rotors from banging against each other or squealing.

Not all brake pads come with shims as they aren't required and function perfectly without needing them. … This doesn't require the use of disc brake lube, but you can still apply a thin coating on top of the brake backing plate. Lastly, there are also titanium brake pad shims which act as an improved thermal barrier.

An anti-rattle clip, also called a brake abutment clip. Anti-rattle clip shown in land of brake calliper bracket. is used to prevent brake pad looseness and noise when mounted in a brake calliper or brake calliper bracket.

When you quote from another website you should add a link.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
TLH.................OMG !