Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how thick should front brake pads be?

RWD4ever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS3 ute
I saw a major retailer had slotted rotors for $75 - clearance sale, so I grabbed some. I happened to have some pads lying in workshop: the cheapo SUPERSTOP brand. They were very difficult to fit. I pushed back the piston, and removed the bit of tinplate (with ISO number) that clips on. But there is only a Rizla paper clearance to get it on the new rotor. The sliding pins aren't seized, as is common with such old cars. Rotor seems to be correct thickness. The pads thickness varies from 12.5 to 12.8 mm among the four of them.So looks like some sloppy manufacturing there.
This is just the standard VS V6 brakes, not HSV, VT, VE or some other upgrade.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
What did you use to push the piston back in? Was it fouling on the thick side or just everywhere? The single piston slide calipers are sometimes a bit weird when you're trying to push the two halves apart, they're a bit counter-intuitive it's hard to explain. The tin plate (the shims) are for anti-rattle/vibration (?), so if it's making some strange noise that's probably why.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
As long as the rotor spins freely they should be fine. If you force the caliper on being a lazy .... you end up having to go back on the hoist and pulling it apart again just to push the pistons back 5mm.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Usually about 11mm at a guess but I have never actually measured them.
If you were really desperate you could rub them on flat concrete to remove some material but make sure you do it evenly.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
The metal plates are called "Anti Squeal Shims"

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I never use the shims and never have any squealing. I think if you fit VE calipers they are needed though or you get problems.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
The shims do reduce noise. New brake pad thickness varies max thickness can be changed not by concrete but buy some 80 grit on a piece of glass or a good bench. The dust they make resizing nakes it worth just going to a good mechanic of you value your health.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Shims must come with cheap pads, the last 5 sets of pads I bought never came with shims. I've seen hi-temp RTV used on the back of pads too but I've never used this either.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Shims must come with cheap pads, the last 5 sets of pads I bought never came with shims. I've seen hi-temp RTV used on the back of pads too but I've never used this either.
Any stuff smeared or sprayed on the pads is BS but the shims help and come on most decent pads.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
come on most decent pads.

Hmmm interesting my last three sets of QFM's and last two sets of Bendix 4WD pads never came with shims. First pad change on the ute it had shims from previous owner. But I chucked them away as I haven't used shims in well over 10 years and never had a noise problem. That's why I thought it must have been something cheap pads come with.