Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how to add a 26" screen to a ve commy boot lid

luke746

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve omega
hey guys,
ive had a custom boot done in my car and i wanna put a 26" screen in the boot lid.
just wanna know how big a job would it be and how i would go about doing it?

cheers,
luke

aazn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX lumina
you will firstly need a power inverter. 12v -> 240v

than get a tv wall mounting bracket, make sure you get the one that locks in and doest not just sit on top of the wall mounting plate.
cheap place to get them is..
LCD and Plasma Mounts

than run RCA's to the TV to your headunit if you got a DVD player in it.. otherwise you will need alot of external gear.

i personally would be running a dvd player headunit and run RCA's into the headunit.. so your amps, speakers, TV are all controlled off one unit.

nstone63

wants a new car
Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 VN Executive
as a side point, I was just thinking how would it fare opening/closing the boot? Could the jolt in closing it be enough to put a crack in the screen, and how could you protect it if it could be a problem?

STEEV888

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 200sx.
tv's are pretty strong these days. when moving my 50" it slipped out of my gf's hands and the corner hit our floor boards from about 40 - 50 cms.. besides a dimple in the plastic the screen was fine..
when it happened i was too scared to look.

and if you have this mounted to your boot i think you would be more careful when closing etc.

VLC86

..stay N/A..
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
26" is pretty big for a boot. you might have issues with the boot staying open. obviously the best choice would be an LED LCD, lighter and thinner.

Mount a piece of plywood to the boot lid and simply screw in a slimline wall mount

all done

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
As long as its not a plasma, new or old, one decent pothole or one closing of the boot, and that glass screen will go bye-bye.

luke746

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve omega
ive seen it done once before and they had a leather trim made to cover around the screen.

im looking at an lcd, with the 26 inch ive got one at home so ill test it before i go buy one for the car to make sure boot stays open.

im looking at putting an after market double din in but with it being a ve it makes it abit harder.

with the whole boot closing automatically i think i would ease up on putting it down abit but as you said they have become alot stronger now to what they where.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Why not leave the factory H/U alone, and make a completely independent system in the tray. It wouldn't even be hard at all to make them both use the door speakers. Or even switchable so a tray H/U can switch between door speakers and tray speakers.

luke746

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve omega
i thought about it but with the setup that i have now there isnt many places in the boot where i could have it and still keep it looking good