Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to bypass the immobiliser, don't want the car towed to the locksmith!

mattbombers

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Just a heads up for everyone else.
If you drop your key in water, Put it in a tub of rice :).

Shouldn't there be some sort of number on the actual BCM?
Also works for mobile phones that enjoy a dip in tge pool ... Lol

CapriciousWL

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Caprice
Hire a car and trailer. Cheaper than $450. Otherwise, I would suggest not posting for a method to bypass the immobilizer. Could be a flat battery in the key - can be replaced nearly anywhere.

GTS-Replica

Full Members
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International / VS GTS-R Replica!
Mate just ring around and get the cheapest tow. Yeah you are a back packer but you should have money aside for problems like this.....

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I just checked out the immobiliser section in the holden VT service manual, and it definitely confirms that the VT has the 2 hour override time, just like the later VS models. The manual says that after 2 hours with the ignition key in the on position , the theft alert indicator LED will go out and the car can then be started. Before the 2 hour time was introduced, the bypasss time was 45 minutes.

nodrim

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VT II V6 Executive
Hm, I have one service manual and it's got nothing about it. I managed to find one guy who's going to Bundaberg with a truck tomorrow and he agreed to take my car for 220 $ and we're going straight to an automotive locksmith and hopefully that we'll be the end of it.

Every dollar saved means more travelling and diving. ;) But I would really like to try this 2 hour wait again, 'cause it's really bugging me having to have my car towed, if it's not necessary.

Thanks again, Brett. Cheers!

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The VT manual I have is on DVD, someone downloaded it from the net and gave me a copy, its a proper genuine holden VT workshop manual,complete with techline notices etc. Its got heaps more detailed stuff compared to a poor mans workshop manual like a gregorys or haynes etc. Although both my gregorys VR and VS manuals both mention the 45 min/2 hour bypass time.

Dropjeslover

**** happens
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
A bit of a major kick and with a slightly different car, but the battery of the key (remote lock and immobiliser) of my VS wagon died. 18 years of recharges probably got the best of it.
My car is currently in a parking lot, 4 km from the holden dealer.
However, I can only get a tow from a guy with another car and a rope. The tranny should survive the 4km @ 20km/h in neutral I think, but better not risk it.

Also, my immobiliser cuts _all_ power, after I go from on to start. No lights at the dashboard, no (emergency) lights, no radio/fan, etc. The light of the immobiliser is blinking without a key in the lock, and with the key in the lock it seems to blinking at a different speed.

But, according to what I've read above, if I leave my key in the lock in the "on" position for 1 hour - 45 minutes, I should be able to start the car?
Aside from that, is it also possible to replace the battery myself? Holden charges $220 for a new key ($90 for the unit, $35 for the code, $90 for 15 minutes work and $5 for the new tiny screws). The holder/black thingy is seal welded plastic tho, no idea what kind of battery it is (voltage/size/etc)...

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
This reply may be far too late for the OP, but just in case someone is searching for a similar answer, to quote the Holden VT2 service manual:

"To improve vehicle security, the theft deterrent two hour override function was deleted as a running change to all VT Series Models in approximately July 1998."

Tj_275

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Olympic
Hi there, we are now in 2021 and now I seem to have the same problem, I have a Holden Commodore 2000 VT 3.8L ecotec. My key is not working as I had to lock and unlock the car to start the vehicle but it no longer works, I have tried replacing the battery in the key remote but it also seems to not work. Its definently the immobilizer as unlocking the vehicle using the remote seems to deactivate the immobilizer which allows the vehicle to run. I am in the same situation as the guy that posted up this thread but the only difference is that the car needs to be moved to my new home which is 4 hours away? Is there any chance of maybe removing a module or somehow bypassing the immobilizer to get the vehicle from A to B? Any sort of advice would be appreciated

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Hi there, we are now in 2021 and now I seem to have the same problem, I have a Holden Commodore 2000 VT 3.8L ecotec. My key is not working as I had to lock and unlock the car to start the vehicle but it no longer works, I have tried replacing the battery in the key remote but it also seems to not work. Its definently the immobilizer as unlocking the vehicle using the remote seems to deactivate the immobilizer which allows the vehicle to run. I am in the same situation as the guy that posted up this thread but the only difference is that the car needs to be moved to my new home which is 4 hours away? Is there any chance of maybe removing a module or somehow bypassing the immobilizer to get the vehicle from A to B? Any sort of advice would be appreciated
Speak to a locksmith or contact Holden. You won't find this sort of advice on the internet for good reason.