Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] How-To: Cable to Hydraulic Clutch Conversion - Borg Warner T5

Commo_Carl

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR V6 Turbo Ute, 99 STI EJ207 GT FORESTER
Hey guys,
Ive just finished doing a lot of mad upgrades to my already crazy VR V6 turbo ute, but that aside, the main one that i wanted to share with you guys is my successful conversion from the crappy old cable clutch (which gets hot especially on a turbo setup and becomes even stiffer)
This has previously been basically non-existant on the forums (as far as i've seen)

I've done all the trial and error for you guys and I can report back now after a few weeks of driving that it is 100% successful and I love it. Even though I have a monster custom made clutch with 1500kg clamp force and a 6 puck ceramic clutch plate, the pedal feel is still quite good (well for me anyway haha) If you have a standard/ish clutch im sure you will feel even lighter.

In using the same bore slave as the master, the pedal effort goes up obviously to 1:1, though had to be done to get enough throw (25mm) at the fork to fully disengage the clutch. If someone can find a slave cylinder with 7/8" (22mm) bore (same as stock getrag slave) to work that would give you less pedal effort. I do have the getrag slave that I got with the pedal box, though due to the design of the bolt holes I didnt bother trying it out (i probably should of just out of curiosity) though was more concerned in getting the car back on the road after a week or so of trial and error.

ANYWAYS, BE SURE TO SEE MY VIDEO OF THE PROPER RUNDOWN AND HOPEFULLY THIS HELPS SOME PEOPLE OUT IN AN OTHERWISE UN-DOCUMENTED CONVERSION

https://youtu.be/eUzuEbmNWYI

Here's a quick run down of what you'll need (or at least what I used)

-VS Commodore III manual pedal box
-VS Commodore III 3/4" clutch master cylinder & it's firewall mounting bracket
-Early model Ford XR/XT 3/4" clutch slave cylinder
-Speedflow 200series AN-3 fittings and hose for clutch pressure line
-Billet aluminium clutch fluid reservoir (can you stock plastic one, though barely holds any fluid and IMO looks cheap and crappy)
-And lastly and the hardest, you'll need to fabricate or get someone to fabricate a bracket to mount your clutch slave to the side of the gearbox to push the clutch fork forward.

Any questions just ask

Brad scott

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl
Hey guys,
Ive just finished doing a lot of mad upgrades to my already crazy VR V6 turbo ute, but that aside, the main one that i wanted to share with you guys is my successful conversion from the crappy old cable clutch (which gets hot especially on a turbo setup and becomes even stiffer)
This has previously been basically non-existant on the forums (as far as i've seen)

I've done all the trial and error for you guys and I can report back now after a few weeks of driving that it is 100% successful and I love it. Even though I have a monster custom made clutch with 1500kg clamp force and a 6 puck ceramic clutch plate, the pedal feel is still quite good (well for me anyway haha) If you have a standard/ish clutch im sure you will feel even lighter.

In using the same bore slave as the master, the pedal effort goes up obviously to 1:1, though had to be done to get enough throw (25mm) at the fork to fully disengage the clutch. If someone can find a slave cylinder with 7/8" (22mm) bore (same as stock getrag slave) to work that would give you less pedal effort. I do have the getrag slave that I got with the pedal box, though due to the design of the bolt holes I didnt bother trying it out (i probably should of just out of curiosity) though was more concerned in getting the car back on the road after a week or so of trial and error.

ANYWAYS, BE SURE TO SEE MY VIDEO OF THE PROPER RUNDOWN AND HOPEFULLY THIS HELPS SOME PEOPLE OUT IN AN OTHERWISE UN-DOCUMENTED CONVERSION

Here's a quick run down of what you'll need (or at least what I used)

-VS Commodore III manual pedal box
-VS Commodore III 3/4" clutch master cylinder & it's firewall mounting bracket
-Early model Ford XR/XT 3/4" clutch slave cylinder
-Speedflow 200series AN-3 fittings and hose for clutch pressure line
-Billet aluminium clutch fluid reservoir (can you stock plastic one, though barely holds any fluid and IMO looks cheap and crappy)
-And lastly and the hardest, you'll need to fabricate or get someone to fabricate a bracket to mount your clutch slave to the side of the gearbox to push the clutch fork forward.

Any questions just ask
Is this still active?

Commo_Carl

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR V6 Turbo Ute, 99 STI EJ207 GT FORESTER
So a few years down the track, after lots of testing. I've made another very in-depth video going through my latest version and how it is all set-up to work properly.

Check it out below

LickitySplit

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy storm
I have a vy storm that I want to convert to l67 or a turbo v6 but the Getrag boxes are weak as, would I be possible to use the same master cylinder and pedal box to fit the t5 when converting it to hydraulic? Cheers