Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to cam my car

Jake matthews

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx berlina
Hi Guys,

I'm in the process of researching how to install a camshaft my vz commodore acclaim V6 but I'm struggling to find any info on the process for the Ecotech's. I'm considering a stage 2 Mace Comp cam or going with a custom cam.

So what is the process of removing the old cam and installing the new one? I've got a rough idea of how to do it but really need some good advice. Also running in the new cam, whats the process there?

And please don't say "don't bother, put the money towards a V8 instead". This car is my daily and suits my lifestyle perfectly, I'm just adding mods to add a bit of extra performance.

Thanks in advance.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Are you sure know what you are driving?
You mention it's a VZ, yet you also mention "ecotech".
You have Vx on your profile.
Make no sense O/P.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
^^^ Yep, need to be sure what model/engine as there are a fair few differences...

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
You factored in the cost of tuning?

Also, do you actually know what Mace's stage 2 cam is in terms of actual lift and duration? Or what kind of custom grind you'd go for?

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
He might be able to grind it himself with a file.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Hmmmm his profile is VX berlina and his post is VZ acclaim maybe new car???...
anyways VZ alloytech has 4 cams doesn't it ? so that's gunna hurt the bank balance...Just had a quick look and its about 900+ for cams, around 800 for timing chains ect, add another 300 to 400 for ods and sods .....Na pass

Last edited:

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Probably a typo as the x and z are right next to each other on the keyboard lol as to how to do it search on you tube there’s bound to be something on there, just realise that you will neeed to change the valve springs to cope with the more aggressive cam so extra $$$ and you should replace the timing chain set while your at it, you will need gaskets, as well as a tune or a mace chip tune to suit that cam too... for all that effort and cost you won’t get that much of a gain in power in an ecotec engine you would be better off just going the rd of adding high ratio rockers, manifold insulators, extractors and exhaust if u haven’t already got them, air intake and tuned chip from mace

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Probably a typo as the x and z are right next to each other on the keyboard lol
yeah but a berlina and the other an acclaim? not even a crappie auto correct could get it that wrong ;)

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Last edited: