Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to/can you remove seats from a VY

MoustacheMaurice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive II
Hey guys, I've done some searching around but I don't think many posts on this exist. I have some plans for my VY executive II but a few issues and questions that you can hopefully help me out with.

First, I want to remove the passenger seat altogether, I don't want to put anything in its place. Is it even legal in Australia to not have a passenger seat? I can't see an issue with it but some searches on Google about removing seats and the laws just return seat belt laws.

Second if it is legal what's the best way to go about it? The car has side impact airbags which are located inside the seat, so if I unplug the airbag I'm sure that on starting the car I'll get an error message. I don't have the tools to clear it and until I could get it done will it affect the cars other airbags if I were in a crash?

Third, presuming it's legal to have no seat and my other airbags aren't affected, what's the best way to remove the seat? Could I leave the guide rails in the car and just remove the 4 bolts that connect the seat to the brackets on the guide rails? When I look under the seat all I can see is 4 bolts, a yellow wire running up the left of the seat (I assume to the airbag) and a black wire heading to the driver's side. It's either a ground or something for the seat belt..

Are there is any other issues I haven't thought of? I've downloaded a workshop manual and I found something about airbag sensors under the centre console but I haven't been able to find it again, will I need to go into there for this project?

Thanks in advance for any help.

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
Why do you want no passengers seat for? Just undo the 4 bolts and plugs and take it out.. Not sure on a code or ADR or vic roads issues but I'm sure someone will give you a hard time for it..

MoustacheMaurice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive II
Hey, I simply need more space in the car for personal reasons. it's just a sedan and I don't have time to find a buyer for such a common car and find a new one with more space.

I'm mostly concerned about the other airbags disabling if there is an error, I'm just hoping somebody can confirm that. I'll look more into the laws today and post up my findings.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Im pretty sure it has to stay in. If the car is designed to carry 5 people then it must have the capacity to carry 5 people. Unless you get a mod plate or something.

Last edited:

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
It's been done before.... Ted Bundy used to drive around in his brown VW beetle without a passenger seat so he could keep his fresh victim out of view...

But as said, your VY is designed for 5 occupants and that is how it must stay. Trade it in for a ute if you require space.

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
So what the last two posts are saying is its illegal to drive around in a wagon with the back seat folded down like a lot of tradies do as that then limits the 5 seats down to 2 seats ?? As long as nobody is sitting in there I don't see why there would be a issue with not having a seat there not sure what ya could use the little extra space for but my mate went from melb to wa with his toolbox in place of his front seat in his vt as it was to big to fit anywhere else.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
So what the last two posts are saying is its illegal to drive around in a wagon with the back seat folded down like a lot of tradies do as that then limits the 5 seats down to 2 seats ?? As long as nobody is sitting in there I don't see why there would be a issue with not having a seat there not sure what ya could use the little extra space for but my mate went from melb to wa with his toolbox in place of his front seat in his vt as it was to big to fit anywhere else.

No because in the wagon the seat is still there and can still be used.

This is for QLD, but I'll have a look for the Vic version. Google Permanent & Temporary Removal of Seats from Light Motor Vehicles , first result.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina

Craigo8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE E1 Senator Signature

Hey Mate
If you are set on removing seat the only problem you will have is SRS light will remain illuminated because the loop is broken.The other Airbags will still deploy without the seat,so it's a matter of putting up with the warning light.Not sure bout Vic but my workmate got a defect for removing rear seat from his car(VZ sedan)
Hope this helps