Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to Change a Starter Motor

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
it still seems strange you have to take off a manifold

90VN55

Reaction score
Members Ride
90 VN SS 5speed, '90 VN Calais 5speed
i will get a photo tomorrow (if i rememeber) its in a **** of a place

PhantomSV6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
Going to give this a go on the weekend. thanks

90VN55

Reaction score
Members Ride
90 VN SS 5speed, '90 VN Calais 5speed
i work at the local wreckers and all we do is undo the 2 19mm bolts holding the rack up and pull it out of the way then the starter comes out easy

chalkstur

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn
I've just done my first starter motor today. There wasn't enough room to get it out so took out the steering rack and had no problems. The one I've put back in is a lot smaller than the original (they're both bosch), apparently they were in the VR models so if have to do it again reckon it'd come out without removing anything. Managed to do the whole job inside an hour and I'm no mechanic.

S2_VR_

Reaction score
Members Ride
03' M6 VY SS ute
it is quiet easy just to drop the rack, but you'll need a wheel alignment afterwards yeah??..

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Not if you remove the tie rod ends from the stub axles. Pricks of things if they havnt been touched for a while. But doesnt alter alignment. Or just let the rack hang is probably the easiest way.

fasamr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 3.8 ltz
hi, I was trying to remove the starter motor the first thing I did was removing the wires when I was trying to remove the nut but the whole thing the bolt just fall of the solenoid now its flat any ideas how to alter it I m stuck with this

Nackerz

Rollin
Reaction score
Members Ride
2 n/a vl's 1 twin turbo vl vn ss vy sv8
Hey, no pictures but its just self explainitory, posted this for someone else but tought i may aswell throw it up for anyone else who dosnt want to pay $400 for a starter motor installed, you can use a reco/used one like i did if you need your car back on the road.. ok here it is

1st step start by disconnecting the battery, remove the spark plugs but write down a diagram of where they were so you dont get struck apon re-assembly, jack the car up and put it on stands, this is a MUST because of what u have to do... use a socket set, dont try using a spanner you wont get the torque you require, borrow one if u have to,

Why do you have to take the plugs out as it has nothing to do with the starter motor and nothing to do with the leads!!!