Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to Change a Starter Motor

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
If youve got a 5 litre with pacemaker "tri y`s" have fun because you have to remove the headers, but after that its so easy as explained, there is no shielding on VR VS 5litre, not top sure about v6`s , on gen 3`s its on the drivers side and you have to disconnect the exhaust manifold/headers (they have a joint so you don`t have to remove it from the head) and drop the steering rack via uni joint, if your wondering why its so hard on a gen 3 its because the motor is american and primarly set up for left hand drive steering.

Just for giggles does any know if the aussie built 6 litres in the VZII holden range (L76) and VE holden range (L98) have the starter on the correct side, just curious..

Maxseverity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
hahahaha.. its funny how i was gonna get charged 600 bucks from racv for something that costs 130 bucks and takes fifteen minutes to do... sad..

deXtrous

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Acclaim
Would someone be kind enough to post a picture of the starter motor in its place??? I simply don't know where to look for it.

Snap-on

Boilermongrelin
Reaction score
Members Ride
82 VH, 99 VT
I just replaced the starter motor on my VP V6.
Jacked up the car and put it on stands.
I used a rattle gun to undo the 2 vertical bolts, which were the only bolts holding it on.
I then got a cheap 13mm spanner and cut it in half. Used the ring end to undo the terminal.
Pull off the other wire.
Turn the starter on its side and slide it out.
Did the steps in reverse and done!
No buggering around with the steering rack. No unbolting headers/extractors.
Easy!

skravo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
As above, jack up car, undo two bolts and then from engine bay undo positive and negative. then slide out over power steering arm, slide new motor in, connect and bolt back on. Piece of cake!

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Good thread digs Noobs. The instructions were already posted by Paradox, we don't need it re done another 2 or 3 times in the same thread.

SSMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXSS
piece of cake ey!!!! none of you have an auto vx ss then..... been trying to get the bloody thing out for over an hr now!!!!!!!

JlP

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn
Just done my starter on my vn. Here's what you need to do if you still have the original starter motor on your car. Just so everyone knows none of the guides above will work if you still have the original starter motor on your car! Why? Because there is a bracket on the front of the starter motor that is bolted to the engine mount. So if you think you can just slip under the car and take 2 bolts out and slide it out id think again. Even if you remove the headers you still cant get to the bolt. Drop the steering rack? Still cant get to that bolt!

Please understand this process is for people that still have the original or an old bulky starter motor on there car.

So the best an easiest way to remove your starter motor is to remove your air compressor.

Follow these steps...

Take the belt of the air compressor and then remove the two bolts underneath that is holding your air compressor in place " If you start with the top bolts you will be holding up your compressor while you are undoing the bottom bolts so start with the bottom bolts first!" Then remove the 2 hoses bolted to the compresses and undue the 2 top bolts holding your air compressor in place, slide compressor out. You now have complete access to your starter motor and that bracket I was talking about. Remove bolt on the bracket and undue the wires on your stater motor. Now slip under the car and remove the two bolts holding the starter in place. Once you have done this you Just slide the whole starter motor straight out the front where your air compressor was. Now just do everything in reverse!! Its pretty simple if you know what to do.

I Will say this though! Go out and get your self a set of ratchet rings if you don't already have a set as they will make bolting the compressor on and off a breeze "13mm is the one you will need" You won't be able to get a socket and ratchet on the bottom bolts of the air compressor so it will take time with your normal ring set. Also when putting your air compressor back on make sure you slide the bottom bolts in first! Don't do them up just slide them in so they are there. If you forget you will have to take the whole compressor of again as you wont be able to get the bottom bolts in once its in position.

If you follow this guide and you have that 13mm ratchet ring you should be able to do it in a hour or quicker if you work fast. Let us if it works for you.

Also I bought a brand new after market starter motor of eBay for $105 dollars delivered. If you do decide to buy one from eBay or any after market starter the original bolts will not fit. One is to long and the other is to short so you will need to go to your local nut and bolt shop and get the right size bolts. Take your new starter motor with you so you can get the right size the first time round.

OK hope that has helped some of you and like i said this is for people that still have the old big bulky type starters in there cars.

Cheers!!!

VNDUMP"D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
This helped me change my vt starter good how to

Roice22

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore executive
Hi, I'm trying to do the starter on a VS series 2 exec and there is a mount connected to the transmission in the way of the one of the bolts and I can't get a spanner to it. It seemed as I was undoing the bolts on the mount oil was beginning to leak from it and I can't seem to find any info about it anywhere. Anyone have any insight to this?