Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How To: Change a VF Steering Wheel

Kim

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF Evoke Wagon
Just did a steering wheel change on my VF Evoke wagon. Thanks so much for this post. It really made the job very easy. I found that the aluminium bolt in the centre of the wheel was fairly easy to remove for me. The whole job took about 20 minutes to remove the wheel and transfer over the controls to the new wheel.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Good how to thanks guys !

3 things I would like to amend/add to your guide is

1 - I found using an allen key or L shaped torx rod easier to use than the screw driver to press the clips in with
2 - When placing back in the 3 x 30T bolts into the steel plate press the plate all the way in to see where the horn mechanism finishes, then screw your bolts in so there is only a small amount of travel for the silver plate and not a few mm like i first did (like chasie I had to do this a few times to get the horn working again)
3 - tighten up the steering wheel bolt as per workshop manual

Screen_Shot_2015_02_26_at_3_45_21_pm.png

Also I re used the orignal bolt and used a little bit of loctite as there was a blue thread locking substance from factory.

Thread dig....

Do these three bolts actually screw onto the 3 raised sections on the steering wheel ? I just got new steering wheel and dont see any threads in those holes...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201126-103044_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20201126-103044_eBay.jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 244
  • Screenshot_20201117-140254_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201117-140254_Gallery.jpg
    525.7 KB · Views: 250

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Thread dig....

Do these three bolts actually screw onto the 3 raised sections on the steering wheel ? I just got new steering wheel and dont see any threads in those holes...

Are they spigots that the horn/air bag pad springs sit on?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Are they spigots that the horn/air bag pad springs sit on?

Seems like it but I am not certain whether those 3 torx screes need to be removed at all for steering wheel swap if they are not screwed to those spigots...

It's throwing me off as the holes have no threads...

Would rather hear from someone that did this than learn on the job :)

Last edited:

bb_zetec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SV6 Sportwagon Slipstream Blue Black Ed.
Seems like it but I am not certain whether those 3 torx screes need to be removed at all for steering wheel swap if they are not screwed to those spigots...

It's throwing me off as the holes have no threads...

Would rather hear from someone that did this than learn on the job :)

FYI..i know an old thread but incase anybody is wondering, I just did my wheel swapout and yes the three screws remove and screw onto the replacement wheel to hold down the horn assembly and spring.

Also screw them down all the way as they self bottom out to leave a small gap between the horn contacts when you move the horn assy over to the new one.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
FYI..i know an old thread but incase anybody is wondering, I just did my wheel swapout and yes the three screws remove and screw onto the replacement wheel to hold down the horn assembly and spring.

Also screw them down all the way as they self bottom out to leave a small gap between the horn contacts when you move the horn assy over to the new one.

Yes. That's right. I changed it ages ago. New steering wheel does not have threads. That's how it's meant to be