Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to change a wheel stud?

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
So i done a quick search here and found nothing. Spent the past few hours looking on the web and found nothing that really helps my job.

How do I change a rear wheel stud? I dont want to remove the axles if I dont have to and even if I remove the hub I dont see access to the studs.

Help?

heres the pictures of the front n back of the hub I found on ebay.
http://s711.photobucket.com/user/du...BE-BRpDyFJRg60_1_zps72af855e.jpg.html?filters[user]=91529671&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0
http://s711.photobucket.com/user/du...qIBRpDyMYBCg60_1_zps9ff215d0.jpg.html?filters[user]=91529671&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1

sorry photobucket and my computer arent getting along atm

Last edited:

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Looked into this several times and although there is certainly more than one shortcut / easy way to do it, there is also the right way:
http://bit.ly/12AznAo
Its a PITA, and to do this correctly yes you must take the hub off for the rears.
Why do you need to replace studs?

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Thanks thats 1000x better then what I found, they said to remove the whole knuckle n axles.

I know this sounds bad but instead of the KM-468 tool/bar could I just put the car in gear? and use a pulley/steering puller on the hub??

I want to replace all my studs with longer ones for track use n I think ill need them when I upgrade brakes because the rotors are thicker (not 100% sure atm)

Last edited:

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Mate because you have good access at the front, use longer studs Dorman 610-490 on the front with a hubcentric 12-15mm spacer to clear BBK.
I use Eibach Camaro Pro Kit 15mm wheel adapters precisely because the rear hubs are a PITA.
BTW you can't go wider than 255/40-19 on std rims, and 15mm each side is widest track extension without rubbing.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
i've done the front studs, im up to the rears. sorry I dont think i said that. I dont trust bolt-on spacers n would perfer the studs to be honest.

Clearance over my brakes ATM is good just the caliper is a little close to my rims

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
No probs good luck. How is longer studs going to give you more clearance? Hub and wheel centric spacers that don't bolt up?
Eibach bolt-ons are TüV, used in race and street cars, guaranteed for life.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
The idea would be to replace the HSV brakes with something with a slimmer caliper for clearance cos the HSVs are thick as sh*t n offer not much choice in wheels (the caliper hits the spokes). Also if the rotor hat is thicker i'll loose stud length n require longer item's. Plus the more threads in the nut the safer so long studs with the long OX racing nuts is where im starting.

Cheers for the help

Ive heard to many story's of bolt on spacers snapping studs and stripping them.