Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] How to change aircon actuator in VT

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
How to change aircon actuator in VT (shoud be similar for other models)

First you will need the actuator which should be about $115 from Holden (that is non trade price), a flat head and phillips screw driver.

1. Make some space in the passenger foot well by moving the front seat back and open your glovebox. Inside the glovebox there is a small black tab in the bottom right hand corner. Take the flathead and lever this out. This will then allow the glove box to drop down.

100_6359.jpg

2. You will then see a bunch of colored hoses attached to a plastic bar, mine is obstructed by my stereo cables (which I will rerun eventually). Simply remove the hose bar by gently pulling it off, it has two small clips that will come off. It also has an electrical plug on the left hand side.

100_6364.jpg

100_6365.jpg

3. Now turn your attention to the big black plastic bit, you will need to remove this as the actuator is attached at the back of this and is inaccessible without removing this cover. There are 4 screws attaching it as well as another electical plug, see below.

100_6367.jpg

The cover should then drop out of the car, be careful not to yank on any of the vacuum hoses.

4. Turn this on it’s side and you should see 2 screws, take them out and then put the replacement part in and put the screws in to hold it all together.

100_6374.jpg

100_6375.jpg

Now for the reinstall, side the cover back in place, put the 4 screws back in, careful not to trap any hoses or wires when doing this. Re-attach the vacuum hose bar and your pretty much done. There are a couple of wire clips which attach the cover put these in. Now is a good time to turn the car on and test aircon. Stick your head down near the actuator while the car is idling and make sure there are no air-leak noises, also change the aircon to the different vents to make sure they are changing as required. If this all checks out, you are fine to put your glovebox back in and your all done.

PIKL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Thanks for the info. I will get onto this on Friday. Fingers crossed it will fix my problem. Cheers :)

wongers333

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
I have a SII VT wagon and there is no actuator under the glovebox can anyone help it hit 40+ today and my sitcom only changes off of face when I let the car idle

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
This is only for those with climate control, what do you have?

wongers333

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
My bad just standard air con controls figured it might be all run by the switch but wasn't sure

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
Nah sorry mate the standard control setup is completely different, there should dtill be some posts about it though

VY38SC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Supercharged Calais
For anyone interested, the VY Calais is ever so slightly different, and a little more straightforward than doing the replacement in the VT as shown above.

In order to replace the actuator in the VY, remove the glovebox, and then unclip the plate underneath (which has the footwell light globe in it, plus the footwell aircon vents); there are 3 clips holding this in, 2 on the left and one on the right.

The actuator is located in the top-right corner of the footwell area behind where the glovebox sits; it has an electrical connector on the left-hand side of it, and 2 phillips head screws securing it in place.

To remove, take out the 2 screws holding it in place, and gently pull out the electrical wire where it is clipped in (at the middle of the front of the actuator). Now gently pull down the actuator, gently pull out the electrical connector, and the rubber rail with all the vacuum hoses at the top of the actuator, unclipping it from the hooks as you go.

To install the new actuator, simply clip the rail of vacuum hoses on the new one, re-connect the electrical connector, then gently manouvre the actuator into place and re-clip the electrical wire back into where it was clipped before, and fasten the 2 screws to hold it in place. Then simply re-clip the plate back into place and re-install the glovebox and you are done.

This procedure is for a VY Series II (I would imagine the Series 1 would be the same), so between the very helpful instructions originally posted by 50LTRv8 and my addition based on the VY, hopefully anyone looking to replace their actuator in a VT-VZ will find it quick and easy.