Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to change Ecotec Waterpump

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
7) use a little non-hardening silicone (the red RTV silicone or locktight 2{spelling?}around the entire gasket area of the water pump and block, then add the gasket supplied (so the gasket is between 2 layers of silicone) Dont use so much silicone your cleaning it off for a month, but enough to seal it.

Hi guys.
Can I just use good old Gasket Goo on gasket and bolts (I have some at home)?
I use it on the thermostat housing and bolts with no leaks.
On the older cars you could move the fan blade to see if the bearing was bugged.
I did this on the VS water pump pulley and have movement.
Cheers guys.

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
Yep gasket goo is the go,
by gasket goo you mean the honey like smelly stuff that is usually in a tin?
thats perfect to use on the gasket and bolts

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
This one.
Brownie colour.
PP550.jpg

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers mate thank you

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well did the pump yesterday bit warm up here so I`ll let the gasket goo dry over night then I`ll fill up and check for leaks.

I found out the steering pump pulley has to come off aswell so back on with the belt I was pissed.

Last edited:

Samwow

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT Olympic 3800 Ecotec
Hi All, Great thread!

I recently started getting a weird noise from under the bonnet of my VT 2000. It was indeed coming from the waterpump.

I followed this guide above and also hit a snag when it came to removing the circular pulley wheel which sits in front of one of the bolts on the water pump.

Down to Autobarn and bought a 75mm Claw Pulley remover. I used a 17mm spacer when trying to remove it, but this was too big and I ended up both pushing the pulley and pulling it off at the same time, scratching my head as to why the darn thing wouldn't come off! Once I worked out how dumb I was, I changed the spacer on the pulley claw remover to something that fit in the middle (a 10mm one I believe) and the pulley came straight off no problem at all. I was then able to get the water pump off (extremely corroded, noisy and in bad shape) and replace it with a nice new one from ebay. I used a razor blade and then some light sandpaper to clean off the surface, sprayed the surface (and the end of the larger waterpump bolts) with with hylomar, put the new gasket in place and screwed it all back together. SHE'S ALL GOOD NOW! :) Happy days. :)

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It's funny, I've done a few ecotec water pumps and never had to remove any other pulleys. Pull it out and angle it so it comes out behind that pulley. That's all I have done.

Samwow

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT Olympic 3800 Ecotec
Hmmn, hey actually that might have worked! It's pretty tight but might be able to squeeze through once loosened. I didn't think of pulling it out at all until I had all the bolts off. Don't tell me I wasted $55.00 at AutoBahn on a claw pulley remover. Haha. Nah, I have no regrets. I might use it again.....one day....