Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] How to change front sway bar mounting bushes

Do you find my how to's funny?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 2002 Executive v6. Ex Patrol Car
[VT-VX] How to change front sway bar mounting bushes.

Disclaimer: I don’t take responsibility if you stuff up your car by doing this. All women and children attempting this should do so with male adult supervision.

So… You turn into a corner and thing that possibly your Commodore has turned into Buckingham Palace but with sails. It stresses you out because you look like more a tool then you normally do and it’s hard to impress baby chickens. Well, if you front sway bar mount bushes have kicked the bucket, then this how to is for you! (Unless you are a woman, then get a man to do it for you).

This IS a really easy procedure, and almost anyone can do it (Bar the obvious).

Harmless Muffin Man, what do I need to do this procedure? You may find yourself asking.

Well that is a good question, and I shall answer with a carefully constructed list.

Car jack
Car stands
13mm Ratchet
Degreaser
Rags

You are also going to need some new front sway bar mounting bushes. These will set you back 17 – 25 dollars depending on the profit margin your local carries. I went with Nulothane (Really don’t care how it’s spelt hey) because I like orange. Also before you go buy them, make sure you bust out some vernier callipers and measure your sway bar.

10112011007.jpg

The above picture is the old ones (Clearly ruined) and the new ones.

Ok Mr Harmless Muffin Man, what’s the first step? You may find yourself enquiring.

Well, jack up your car and pop the bonnet, please make sure you use car stands for safety as we would hate to see you killed by your own stupidity.

10112011.jpg

Ok Mr Harmless Muffin Man, what’s the second step? You may find yourself questioning.

Well! Blast the two bolts on each side with degreaser, and remove both bolts on each side, and pull off both plates.

10112011004.jpg

10112011003.jpg

10112011005.jpg

Ok Mr Harmless Muffin Man, what’s the third step? You may find yourself querying.

Very good question indeed; simply grab the old bushes and rip them out! You will see that the bar is now nice and easy to lift up and down to install the new ones.

101120110061.jpg

Ok Mr Harmless Muffin Man, what’s the fourth step? You may find yourself inquiring.

Right, now we need to install them, now the bushes go in the following way.

10112011008.jpg

But first, grease them up like you would yourself before you try to poke your girlfriend stink tube for the very first time.

10112011009.jpg

Then, just pop them into place. There is a groove in the metal plate, which they will slot into nice and snuggly. Then just slip the metal plate over the top and give it a jiggle so it sets into place nice and sexually.

101120110101.jpg

Ok Mr Harmless Muffin Man, what’s the fifth step? You may find yourself catechizing.

Simple do up the bolts, nice and tight (Like your girlfriends stink tube), close the bonnet, lower your car, take her for a spin, and be marvelled at your own success.

10112011011.jpg

I hope you liked this one ya bunch of bogans.

Out-takes:

“Whats another word for questioning…”
“How the HELL do you spell Vernier…”
“Why do Nulothane have such a difficult to spell name…”
“Oh… I don’t need to get under my car to change these… Or to measure the bar… FML…”
“Beer beer beer beer…”

kellogs2551

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 Holden commodore VN wagon v6
hahahehe, loved the wording of it, and yes it hurts like hell to have the rear passage explored without lube ;-P

AKA_VT2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6
future rite up on sway bar replacement?

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well I don't need to replace it, because I love it <3. However, I think as TAFE is out, I might be able to muster something up. Maybe I'll take it out... And sptray paint it fluresant yellow :D

AKA_VT2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6
maybe top half pink and bottom half brown ?

Reaction score
Members Ride
This would work... I'll see what I can do! After christmas, so I can use my brand new spanner set <3

Some people don't find my How To's funny... Life = Over

AKA_VT2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6
LOL... love them... make the job seem a little bit easier to attempt!

a1k3m1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY II S-Pack 25th Anniversary
lol MR harmless Muffin Man!! .. i has question i wish to enquire... what exactly are me measuring when me measure the sway bar?.. its the width of the bar yeah? not the length? .. thanking you sir!!

Reaction score
Members Ride