Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to change handbrake location

squizy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE
I have a VS ute which was a three seater, the handbrake is currently on the drivers door side. We have put bucket seats in and would like to put the handbrake back to the centre. Can I reuse the original handbrake? If so how do I do it? Or do I have to get another assembly for the centre? Any information truely appreciated.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
This has been covered before and I think you have to cut and weld something - anyway do a search as there was a pretty long thread on this.

tezza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Nah no need to cut or weld any metal, its all there, I did this in my ute. It does leave a few holes here and there though.
You'll need the handbrake lever from a sedan and then just cut the carpet slightly where the handbrake lever is supposed to be and peel back the bit of sound deadening that covers the hole for the handbrake lever.

Get under the car and loosen the equiliser rod nuts for the handbrake and remove everything forward from this, so there is the lever by the door and the extra handbrake cable which goes towards the front of the car and around to the underside of the drivers side floor pan.

Once this is in, get the sedan / wagon etc handbrake lever and bolt it into the hole in the middle and connect it to the Y piece underneath the car for the handbrake. You may need to wire up the handbrake warning light, Im not sure if the ute wiring loom has it underneath the radio / air cond control area. When I swapped mine, I also swapped the wiring loom over to a executive one because I wanted central locking etc in my ute as well.

You end up with a few holes where the old handbrake was, and underneath the car where the handbrake goes, there are a few gaps too as it doesnt have the moulded floor pan piece on the three seaters.

Hope this helps.