Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VR-VS] How to change power window switch lights

Fonzie

Just lost the game.
Reaction score
Members Ride
-
I'm intenting to change most of the illumination in my car to blue, rather than the ugly holden green, and given that one of my power window switch lights was out, i decided it was a good place to start. Cheers to Hozy for suggesting using 3mm LED's, they worked a treat. Also, before we begin, my apologies for the crappy picture quality.. Apparently my phone doesn't particularly like macro shots.

Supplies:
Soldering Iron
Fine Solder
Pliers
4 x 3mm LED's (Depending on their rating, you may need resistors too). 6 if you're doing rear switches too.
Steady hand
3 beers

Image0168.jpg
Image0167.jpg

First step is pull the switch out of the car, small flathead screwdriver does the trick.

There are a bunch of tabs across the bottom of the switch assembly, don't waste your time with these. You only actually need to pull the rocker part out. To do this, look side on at the switch. At the top (Under the lip part) there are two circular holes with tabs in them. To remove the rocker, push that tab in with a small screwdriver... Repeat on the other side. The rockers are a little difficult to get out.. Once you have one out, you'll understand and develop a method.

Be careful when you have the rocker out, there are two little brown squares that the switch pushes on, which push onto the mechanism. If you lose these, you'll need to make more or find more, and that's painful. Here's a relatively blurry pic of them... It's about 7mm square? They go in the parts highlighted in red in the below pic.
Image0171.jpg
Image0170.jpg

Now, soldering! This is what the original light and resistor look like.
Image0174.jpg

Grab your pliers and rip it out. Side cutters could also be a good idea, just cut the wire at the two end points.

The next step I took was solder my LED and resistor together, then plug the switch assembly back into the car and figure out what the circuits polarity is. An LED, Light Emitting Diode, is believe it or not a diode. Meaning that current can only travel one way through it. Ergo, to save yourself soldering, find out which way it goes in first.

Now it's simply a matter of holding the diode soldered to the resistor in place, and reattaching it. It can be a bit fiddly... Have some patience. Try not to melt the switch assembly too much.
Image0173.jpg
Image0175.jpg

When you're done, It usually proves wise to plug the switch assembly back into the car once more to ensure that it does infact work.

Putting the rocker switch back on, make sure you put those brown things back in... And getting the rocker around the right way usually helps too.

Image0176.jpg
Image0178.jpg

Tips:
Make sure the LED doesn't sit up too far.. It'll cause problems for the switch.
I repeat, Don't lose those damn brown squares.
Measure and cut off most of the wire on the LED and resistor... Too much will get in the way.
When putting the rocker back on, make sure the LED is upright. This is why the rear passenger light is slightly dimmer in mine...
Don't solder too close to the diode or resistor, some of them react 'badly' to excessive heat.

Good luck.
Fonzie :thumbsup:

jujibelly

ERROR_PATH_NOT_FOUND
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Commodore
I was going to do this mod as well got all the parts and what not then somehow threw the resistors in the bin lol.

Good write up. I would like to also emphasize that you do not lose the little brown squares and that you do not solder the leds higher than intended.

Paint your switches!

Fonzie

Just lost the game.
Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Yeah the switches are a bit worn, but i can't be stuffed masking up the little holes and the child lock button ,let alone pulling it all apart again.

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
Looks good as man, im going to do this do mine now .

Just a few quick questions
Where did you get the 3mm blue diodes from , and what was there resistance
and what was the number on the resistors that you used ?

Verynice

Band
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice 5L
Awesome fonzie. If i had power windows i would have done this. When i get a new car i WILL be doing this. Good work.

Fonzie

Just lost the game.
Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Looks good as man, im going to do this do mine now .

Just a few quick questions
Where did you get the 3mm blue diodes from , and what was there resistance
and what was the number on the resistors that you used ?

Fortunately the resistors came with the LED's, and I didn't have to waste my time figuring it out. This is the same lot that i actually bought. I have a like 20 left over though... How about a beer a peice, and I'll give you a hand? :thumbsup: Let me know.

looks great dude, definately not as hard a task as i thought. Got 2 cars to do this in soon! One will be a nicer kind of green, the other will prob be pink or purple lol.

Yeah it was loads easier than i was expecting. I don't particularly like soldering in confined spaces (Albeit i had gotten used to it with my L3 cluster conversion), but it was nowhere near as hard as i expected.

Awesome fonzie. If i had power windows i would have done this. When i get a new car i WILL be doing this. Good work.

Cheers mate :thumbsup:

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
Fortunately the resistors came with the LED's, and I didn't have to waste my time figuring it out. This is the same lot that i actually bought. I have a like 20 left over though... How about a beer a peice, and I'll give you a hand? :thumbsup: Let me know.

sounds good to me :thumbsup:

Verynice

Band
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice 5L
I'm intenting to change most of the illumination in my car to blue, rather than the ugly holden green,

check mine out fonz :thumbsup:

was about to do the heater control panels but hopefully getting a statesman one day so no point.

IMG_0641.jpg

Fonzie

Just lost the game.
Reaction score
Members Ride
-
I like it! My intentions were much the same, but heater control too. And I'm getting gauge fascias so the red will still be red. Needles white, LCDs white too.