Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How To: Change Springs/Shock

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
:bow: @ VP_Luke and :bow: @ MarzVP

What's with all the VP's :)?

cacaman

Red is Faster
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Acclaim
Just a question

When changing springs to make the car lower is it really necesary to change the shocks other than the fact that they might fall out if the car if raised agian?

mistaken

... pimpin it VT stylez
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
cacaman said:
Just a question

When changing springs to make the car lower is it really necesary to change the shocks other than the fact that they might fall out if the car if raised agian?

Not if you're putting FE2 or equivalent height springs in. Anything lower and you may need to replace shocks.

However saying that - if the car is >10yrs old and still has originaly shocks, it would be worth splashing out ~$70 for a pair of new standard shockies front n back. Or a little more for performance shocks.

I'm looking at putting FE2 springs into my VT S1 soon - I'm considering replacing shocks all round (standard tho, not perfoemance shocks).

Last edited:

90VN55

Reaction score
Members Ride
90 VN SS 5speed, '90 VN Calais 5speed
Make sure you torque up all bolts that should be torqued and locktite all bolts that should be locktited
which bolts need locktite put on them?

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
_A_D_A_M_ said:
what do u mean by torque up

sticky!!!!!
i always wanted to no how to do this. and what do u mean

It means tighten them to the correct tightness.. Usually done by an adjustable torque wrench..

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Shounak said:
It means tighten them to the correct tightness.. Usually done by an adjustable torque wrench..
Only done with a torque wrench. Depending on what it is thats being tightened it will normally list either an primary torque setting (in lbs-inch, or Nm) and a secondary torque setting, or a primary torque setting then a secondary angle to which you must turn the torque wrench.
AirStrike :air:

Attachments

• IMG_0766.jpg
    IMG_0766.jpg
    347.4 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_0768.jpg
    IMG_0768.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 290

totality

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina wagon 5.0 litre
ok i know this was done on a VN/VP setup but is the procedure the same as doing a VT?
i am planning on doing my VT front springs soon and wanted to know if i could use this same procedure for it?

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
it's all similar..
not bolt for bolt/word for word - but if you're confident with cars and tools you'll have no issues.

F

foammedia

I changed the strut bearings and shockers in the front of my VP the other day. I didn't pull the struts off the car. I did one side at a time with the car on a jack and compressed the spring and droped the strut out under the wheel arch then replaced the shocker and put the new strut bearing in, it took me a long time about 3 hours per side but I could have done it faster if I wasn't stuffed around so much. The one thing that anoys me is that I replaced the stock strut bearing plate with nolathane ones as I couldn't get stock ones. The nolathane ones are thicker than stock so now my FE2 car sits at stocker ride height at the front, which means I'll need to get super low springs to make it back to stock FE2 height, that sucks so be prepared for that if your strut bearings need replacing and you are going with nolathane ones

90VN55

Reaction score
Members Ride
90 VN SS 5speed, '90 VN Calais 5speed
VP_Luke said:
Things you will need:

- Socket set
- Spanners
- Spring Compressors
- Big heavy hammer
- Rattle gun
- Some way to lift the front of the car up