Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How To: Change Springs/Shock

F

foammedia

There's a notch on the spring holder, I had no idea where it was supposed to go, so mines in the spot I thought should give the best fit after staring at it for a couple hours :p

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
one more thing.. make sure the notch on the top spring seat faces towards the wheel. isnt that right luke?... hahah

That's the one :) hehehehe

bAAAz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5.0
yeah we had a good stare too. itll go jst about any way but workshop man says face towards spindle

Y

yerti

Nice

Silly me nearly paid someone else to do it until i read that thank you
:thumbsup: :yeah:

watsonc

Reaction score
VP_Luke said:
read pm adam - bigger hammer.

p.s.

if you absolutely can't get the balljoint out with a big hammer and a lot of brute force

you could buy a 'ball joint splitter' from k-mart or bursons or whatever equivalent is close.

DONT DO WHAT I DID:
In 1980 on a HQ I could not split the ball joint, so I put the nut back on, screwed it down level with the thread and belted the top of the nut. This joint the joint open, but nearly caused a bad accident later on.

When we took the car for a run after re-assembly, the lower ball joint failed and the wheel came out at right angles as the front of the car hit the road.

Back up the road we found the nut, split in half.

What apparently had happened was I had cracked the nut. A near miss, and needed to source a new lower control arm and upper ball joint.

boogs86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK calais
great thread. will be using this guide very soon. thanks alot for the help.

john41

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT executive
I put new struts and FE2 springs on my VT last year. On VT's atleast, the top of the strut has a hexagonal cut in it so you can use a socket to hold it as you undo the nut. You dont need a rattle gun.

90VN55

Reaction score
Members Ride
90 VN SS 5speed, '90 VN Calais 5speed
i dont think so cause you have to get into where the ball joint is

SIKVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina N/A V6 3.8
ok i noticed when i put my 30mm king springs in the front that the bearing plate sits proud in the strut tower its not tight like wen the OEM springs were in dos this mean i need shortened shocks.

1 more thing i to had poblems with the nut so 1 bought a 15/16" ring spanner and used a bench vise and sprayed can "O" toolbox "WD40" on the thread..

it wasn't all as hard as i thought it would be not like BMW and Mercs even my missus helped... but yet i d this for a job know and i am a strong beleiver in replacing shocks wen doin springs.. as ive been told that the nut on the shock isn't meant to be undone to many times...