Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How To: Change Springs/Shock

jacko666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive V6
Vp front shocks/springs

I changed the springs on da weekend and found it easier to remove the whole suspension unit as described but instead of undoing top shock nut I undid the unit in the middle, under the rubber boot.

1trkmnd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN s s2 and MY12 sv6 ute
Ive finnally got all the parts to do this, including new brake discs (thought id swap them over while everythings off), just wondering if it is worth replacing the suspension bushes when doing to springs. Ive already done the link pin and sway bar bushes on the front a while back, but what other bushes do you recommend to compliment the suspension upgrade. Rear trailing arms etc???.

jacko666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive V6
Hey, I looked around and replaced every bush rubber i could find. If u got da money, use neophane bushes. otherwise use normal rubber, good for a couple years +

jacko666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive V6
Oh, by the way, cut the old springs with a grider while on da car, saves ya using them bas%%rd spring compressors.

SIKVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina N/A V6 3.8
spring compressors a a safe way of insuring you dont end up becoming a nut case i can think of better things to do than sitting in a hospital bed with a nut stuck in ur skull.. ive seen the nut put a hole in steel and even i tried not using spring compressors and u ccould say i launched my own "micro" space station until i heard a faint sound of glass smashin about 3 blocks a way

SIKVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina N/A V6 3.8
oops for got as i dnt need shortened shocks for my springs i was wondering how to tighten the front end up as the shocks r fine but it like jelly going around the corners so would shortened shocks tighten the springs up or is that a tell tale sign the bushes need replacing

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
Just had to pull 2 struts off a car, OMG did this guide help!

I couldn't remove he thing part of the Z bar so i had to take the whole FN thing off, ah well.... thanks Vp_Luke!

aZk.

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
its a good idea to do the sway bar links(rods bushes nuts) they come in a kit, ive found that the aftermarket ones never fit right, genuine or nothing!

and for those of you putting in lowered springs, have you notised that the spring in only loose when both wheels are off the ground? when its on the ground, the sway bar prevents the shock absorber from depressing(is that the opposite of compressed?) all the way so unless both wheels are off the ground they wont fall out..

they never really fall out unless you have cut springs, which now i am strongly oposed to after having 2 accidents with them

if you still have bodyroll, then u should change your shock absorbers, having lowered springs is a waste if your shocks dont work

Stupa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Storm
urm, has anyone done rears?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Do you already have your rears Stupa?