Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How To: Change Springs/Shock

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
Okay so i figured i'd do a quick write up on how to change your shocks/springs as i did this the other day and took some pics.

Things you will need:

- Socket set
- Spanners
- Spring Compressors
- Big heavy hammer
- Rattle gun
- Some way to lift the front of the car up
- Random items you could find handy.

Lets get right into it:

1) Put the front of the car in the air (safely) ... this has been repeated many times but DO NOT WORK ON A CAR ONLY SUPPORTED BY JACKS

2) Take off the front wheels

3) Remove the brake calipers (there are two bolts on the inward side of the brake claipers to remove) and support them (hang them up with zip ties or something) so that you don't damage your brake lines
Image007s.JPG

4) Have a good look under your car and find fascinating things that you never knew were there. This is a good time to spot oil leaks to worry about in the future.

Image008s.JPG

5) Remove the tie rod end from the thing that it's connected to (not pictured). There will be a castle nut with a pin through it. After this nut is removed, bash the side of where the tie rod end is sitting, and it will pop out.

6) Remove the sway bar link pin from the strut - 14mm nut and use a spanner on the groove on the pin to stop it from turning.

Image009s.JPG

7) Remove the ball joint from the strut. This could be a bit of a bitch depending on how firmly it's been sitting there. The trick is to undo the nut, then once again bash the side of where the ball joint sits really hard with a big hammer. If this fails, hit harder, or find abigger hammer.

Image010s.JPG

8) Now, unless i've forgotten something, you should be able to remove the sway bar link pin from the strut, and the only thing holding the strut in the car shold be the three bolts up in the engine bay

Image061.jpg

9) Undo the 3 bolts and hold that strut, they're pretty heavy when you're doing it by yourself. Remove it from the car

Image012s.JPG

Image011s.JPG

10) Have a beer.

11) Get out your spring compressors and get them around as much of the spring as you can... then tighten away on both of them until you can feel that the spring is jiggling around inside the strut and there is no load on it.

Image013s.JPG

12) Rattle gun off the bolt at the top of the strut - i'm sure there are other ways around this, but this is nice and easy and works good!

13) Remove the bearing blate and spring retainer plate thing and now you can remove the spring.

14) Remove the rubber dust boot (it just slides off) gently so that you don't damage it.

Image014s.JPG

15) You can now get to the nut that holds in the shock absorber, and undo it. (if you have a big enough spanner).

16) Once this nut is off you can take out the old shock absorber.

17) Have another beer.

Installation is pretty much reverse of removal - just make sure the springs are lining up right and that kind of stuff.

Make sure you torque up all bolts that should be torqued and locktite all bolts that should be locktited

Enjoy the procedure it's really not that hard!

If i've forgotten anything please let me know! If you want to see more pics let me know also, I'll be doing this procedure again tomorrow.

p.s. I claim no reponsibility if you manage to blow yourself or your car up, spill your beer, or do any other kind of damages to yourself, property or other persons.

UPDATE:

The upper spring retainer has a notch in it - when re-assembled, this should be facing outwards of the car, to the side when the wheels are straight.

notch.JPG

Last edited:

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
Lucky you even had a hoist to do it on. I've decided when I become rich and famous I'm going to have a garage with a 4-post hoist in it just for working on cars.

Good write up.

redcedar

workaholic
Reaction score
Members Ride
Alto Grey MY12 SS
i don't think having a couple a beers is such a smart thing to do while playing with springs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wait till your finished and then get oiled !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
lol couple of beers dont harm us commodore enthusists (however its spelt), if anythign helps us along :)

jacksien

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
Any advise on what to do if the shock turns when you try to loosen the nut at the top of strut????? How do you hold shock so that you can loosen the nut????

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Someone give this guy a medal and sticky this thread

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
Anyone else think this should go "Sticky"?

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
yay!
Any advise on what to do if the shock turns when you try to loosen the nut at the top of strut?????

Are you using a rattle gun? if not, start...
if that's impossible and you're going to chuck the shocks anyway, try grip then with vice grips and a towel or something? But if you don't want to butcher them you'll need to get creative.

try 'rattle gunning' the ratchet, if you're using one... just give it quick sharp hits to break the nut loose....?

i don't think having a couple a beers is such a smart thing to do while playing with springs

mmmm beeer.