Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to change the battery in the key remote?

Discussion in 'VY Holden Commodore (2002 - 2004)' started by Chad Owens, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Flint Eastwood.

Flint Eastwood. New Member

Members Ride:
    VY Commodore Series 2 / S.
    Hi, thanks for sharing your knowledge.
    Can you tell me the part number for the key battery from Jcar Or Batteries direct?
    Thanks.
    Gippslander.

2. Drewie

Drewie Active Member

Members Ride:
    VX SS (Original owner).
    I have used 2 local mechanics over the past few years and both have said they can program a new key for me when mine gives out.
    One was actually doing a Holden key whilst I was there. It must depend on the amount of use the keys get as mine are the original 17 year old keys, and both work well, car has only done just over 90,000km, I do carry both keys at all times and when one dies I will get 2 new ones made. I replaced the rubber buttons about 2 to 3 years ago and both keys still have good range and work well, when mine fail I will get my local workshop to program two new genuine keys.

3. gregp

gregp New Member

Members Ride:
    VY Berlina S2 Wagon V6
    Roberto Tognollo and Tree cutter like this.
  4. malmensa

malmensa Member

Members Ride:
    VY V6 Wagon
    Go to Jaycar you can buy the correct battery with the spot welds on it, sold it in bingo good for another 5-7 years. Dropping it's memory would only happen if you left it with no power for many hours. Desolder old battery(has some current left) resolder new... easy ... $60-100 a pop fluck me the batter is $2.30 @ Jaycar.com.au[/QUOTE]

I took my VY key apart a while back. The cell was not soldered in place it was WELDED. Stainless steel tabs, spot welded to the cell at one end, a copper PCB trace on the other.

In theory you could probably use a Dremel to cut the steel tabs, then solder them together, but it would be a tad tricky.

5. caaf

caaf Member

Members Ride:
    VYII Equipe S/wagon V6
    Huh? The tabs are spot welded to the battery yes. It’s soldered to the PCB so just get the correct battery type and replace.. No need to reinvent the wheel.

6. krusing

krusing Active Member

Members Ride:
    2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
    Hi Chad, don't wast your time and $'s with a battery, because the remote will never be the same, you can buy them at reasonable price on eBay, don't go for the non genuine one, the buttons don't last, spend a few extra $'s and get a Genuine one [range btwn $45 > approx. $60], swap the Key Blade over to the new Key Head, and your halfway there, I have a contact I purchased my 2 replacements from a little while ago.
    If you in Melbourne, message me and I will gladly program it in for a small fee.
    PS: You could do more damage to the remote housing:(, and more to the point, a serious injury to your hand/s:mad:. What a Doctors appointment cost, and stiches worth [ouch]:mad:, more than $50 I recon :eek:.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
    Roberto Tognollo and caaf like this.
  7. caaf

caaf Member

Members Ride:
    VYII Equipe S/wagon V6
    I will agree the plastics are never the same. If this other was on the table before you joined it would’ve been something I’d definitely approach.

8. malmensa

malmensa Member

Members Ride:
    VY V6 Wagon
    The key supplied with my VY definitely had tabs spot welded at each end, no solder.

I have been adept with a soldering iron since age 6, am qualified by NASA to solder electronics inside nukes, and spend over a decade making a living with electronics repair. I can definitely tell the difference. Might try to get a pic if I can find the old key.

Roberto Tognollo likes this.
  9. malmensa

malmensa Member

Members Ride:
    VY V6 Wagon
    I took a key apart to attempt that. On mine, not only were the stainless steel tabs spot welded to the cell, they were also spot welded to the copper substrate at the other end. I guess you might be able to use a Dremel to cut the tabs, then solder stainless steel to stainless steel, but would be kinda tricky.

10. j_ds_au

j_ds_au New Member

Members Ride:
    VS T4
    Ummm ... I'd believe that (the spot welding to the PCB) when I see it.

Joe.

11. j_ds_au

j_ds_au New Member

Members Ride:
    VS T4
    Not true. When the key is inserted in the lock/reader, it is then powered by the lock/reader via the ring/stud contact (data+power) and the key blade (ground). The battery is only ever used when you are actually pressing one of the keys.

Joe.

12. Al_Dim

Al_Dim New Member

Members Ride:
    VY Acclaim
    Spot weld or not - the tab does come away from the battery with a bit of force... then you can buy batteries in bulk from eBay which is even cheaper. I did this several months ago and replaced both remote key housings and batteries for my VY with no issues so far. (Wish I could say the same for the ignition switch)

13. Aus78Formula

Aus78Formula Member

Members Ride:
    VX R8 Clubsport
    Just a brief update that is affected by this. The HSV key case is no longer available. Those still being sold have tripled in price over a few months. Rather than just obtaining a regular Holden case (urgh!) refreshing an older case might become viable again for a new reason.

14. Aus78Formula

Aus78Formula Member

Members Ride:
    VX R8 Clubsport
    Urgh...the irony only a few hours later.....a new spare key I had programmed and cut only 10 days ago is now failing to activate anything, locking, unlocking, flish flash, nothing. Still starts, so far. Original tired key works, but that kinda defeats purpose of a spare key. And moreso, they aren't cheap when you need to contact Mr Key again.