Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to change the Clock Spring on a VT

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
I've been putting this job off for ages but I finally purchased a new clock spring and was going to fit today. I didn't get far as I didn't have a socket to remove the steering wheel bolt.
Where would I get one. The bolt is about 16mm with double star shaped head (if that makes sense).

Also the new clock spring has these instructions printed onit about turning it to the right and then left until the green indicator is in the centre?
I thought if I had the wheels straight then it would just drop straight in without having to index anything.
I would appreciate any advice from anyone that has done a clock spring replacement.

I thought I might make some photo instructions of how to do this job for future JC readers (unless its already been done but I can't find it)

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I don't recall using anything special to remove the steering wheel on my old VT, just a socket or spanner I think. It was a long time ago so I could be wrong.
I can't help with the clock spring except to say, disconnect the battery first if you haven't already done so.

lonleylad

lonleylad
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vy aclaim
the clock spring needs to be centralised when you fit.....it needs to be turned either left or right until it stops,then turn back 2.5 turns and green indicater shows..this is for when you are turning the steering wheel..if you dont set it you will break it ...make sure you centalise the steering wheel first before you start...there are some very important points you have to do first before you attemp this as it could be dangerous to your health,,to many to list here...best bet is you can get a workshop disc for vt onwards on ebay cheap to guide through the process

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
the clock spring needs to be centralised when you fit.....it needs to be turned either left or right until it stops,then turn back 2.5 turns and green indicater shows..this is for when you are turning the steering wheel..if you dont set it you will break it ...make sure you centalise the steering wheel first before you start...there are some very important points you have to do first before you attemp this as it could be dangerous to your health,,to many to list here...best bet is you can get a workshop disc for vt onwards on ebay cheap to guide through the process
Thanks lonleylad, I've atually finished the clockspring replacement process and all is well. Once I saw the existing unit fitted then I understood what the green window does. Once I removed the old clockspring, I did some continunity tests and found the open circuit for the airbag loop.
I took some detailed photo's of each step of the process which I plan on loading here with some instructions for JC future enquiries. Just got to find some spare time...
So hopefully you can see the story soon.

Mick1988

W.A. Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.sarichtechnology.com
Members Ride
Too many to list......
16mm socket to remove the steering wheel bolt, regardless of the star shape :p

Centering the clock spring is so that you put it on with 3 turns to one side and 3 turns to the other. If you didn't follow the centering procedure you might have 5 turns one way and only 1 turn the other which would cause an issue.

Andyyleigh83

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore
I'm in the process of doing this atm the air bag light is on, I had a scan tool pluged in and have told the computer has logged a code which is uneraserable which I don't know if it's true or not. Any help appreciated

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
let me guess, you turned the ignition on while the airbag was out?

trip to holdens or your mech with a tech 2, the code can be removed

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
I'm in the process of doing this atm the air bag light is on, I had a scan tool pluged in and have told the computer has logged a code which is uneraserable which I don't know if it's true or not. Any help appreciated
SRS error codes can only be cleared via a scan tool. Disconnecting the battery won't remove the error.
The light will still appear after you have completely finished the job. You can then attach the scan tool and check for code. If the clock spring was the only fault, the code should show as "history" and you just clear it. This will remove your airbag idiot light.

Sorry I haven't posted the photo procedure of clock spring replacement. I'll do it ASAP...

Andyyleigh83

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore
I understand what yous have told me but will the tech2 show which part of the srs system is creating the problem? Such as the clock spring or the body control module or the seat belt pre-tensioners? Or will I have you go though and elimate one price of the system at a time? I know the air bag has not been deployed