Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to Change the Oil in a VT/VX

vr_owner

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 3.8lt executive
indeed!
it's useless and a waste of oil. it's like me giving a cashier 100 bucks when i only bought 5 in the store.

beeks, do you even know what you're talking about???

lol hes got a xr6 what do u expect :p j/k

beeks

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6 5sp MKII + DR 600S
I used to follow the rule book but when your talking .2 of a litre I experimented.Seals remained intact and did'nt miss a beat.Do as you please with your own car.

Lloyd1986

Reaction score
Website
www.lcimagery.com
Members Ride
VX II Supercharged S pack
I tried to change my oil, but that damn sump plug! I have a breaker bar, I need the right socket for that I think. Leverage is king! My tiny supercheap socket wrench wouldn't do it. Damn annoying laying under a hot engine for 20mins to no avail. I even dug a pit for me to lay in so I had room under the car which I have since had to fill in! Now im 1000km over my service. Ah well!

gogoboygareth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Commodore Exec
What's the best tool for getting the sump plug off? And which way does it need to be undone? Clockwise or anticlockwise? After reading the previous posts about people rounding the bolt head, and tightening it... I don't want to get stuck. :)

I've never changed the oil, but actually want to give it a go...

Also, do I need to buy a new washer for it? And do repco/supercheap etc sell them?

Cody

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator / HQ 5.0L Tonner
just a ring spanner i find is easiest.. or use a socket?
i try to avoid a shifter or an open ended spanner cause it could round if ur careless like i am haha

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
What's the best tool for getting the sump plug off? And which way does it need to be undone? Clockwise or anticlockwise? After reading the previous posts about people rounding the bolt head, and tightening it... I don't want to get stuck. :)

I've never changed the oil, but actually want to give it a go...

Also, do I need to buy a new washer for it? And do repco/supercheap etc sell them?

Hi Gareth,
The sump plug is a right-hand thread, so to undo it, ANTI-clockwise as you look at it.
The copper washer should be fine there, just dont over tighten it when you put it back on.
Hoping that a butcher hasn't tried to remove the sump plug before you, as mentioned, a ring spanner would be fine or you could use a socket and extension, but the ring spanner is better as it allows more direct drive on the plug. Make sure it is a snug fit! because of the soft material, it is so easy to round it off. Go hard!

gogoboygareth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Commodore Exec
I had a look last night, to see the condition of the plug - it looks good, so I'm guessing a ring spanner will work no sweat (provided it's not done up too tightly).

I managed to find another problem while looking underneah - http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=53987 - I'll have to get that sorted later.

So.... the parts needed are:

1 x 19mm ring spanner
1 x 5L bottle of your chosen oil
1 x Funnel for pouring it in
1 x Oil catch thing for collecting the old oil

I can reach under the car to the plug, so provided the spanner isn't too long, it should be possible to do this without raising the car.

The next question is the oil filter - how do you get it off? From above the car, or below? It looks like you have to work the oil filter around some of the hoses to get it in & out?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
I had a look last night, to see the condition of the plug - it looks good, so I'm guessing a ring spanner will work no sweat (provided it's not done up too tightly).

I managed to find another problem while looking underneah - http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=53987 - I'll have to get that sorted later.

So.... the parts needed are:

1 x 19mm ring spanner
1 x 5L bottle of your chosen oil
1 x Funnel for pouring it in
1 x Oil catch thing for collecting the old oil

I can reach under the car to the plug, so provided the spanner isn't too long, it should be possible to do this without raising the car.

The next question is the oil filter - how do you get it off? From above the car, or below? It looks like you have to work the oil filter around some of the hoses to get it in & out?
I've always found that getting the oil filter out and in is the messiest part, i take mine out from the top, but i drive a completely different car to yourself so the pipes may be the issue.

Also, when putting the new filter in to check that the O-Ring from the previous one came off when you took the filter out otherwise you'll have problems.

Also, i dont know if it says it to in the book but i was told to always fill the new filter up halfway with oil before putting it on the car

Oh, and dont drop the sump plug in the frickin oil like i've just done:D