Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] How to change the oil in your auto transmission VN-VS

aussiepride94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 3.8
Ok so i thought i should show people how to change their auto transmission oil the good way in ten easy steps lol :)

seing as every post about it i see people are hoo haring and saying its a really bad job to do but its not its easy if u just follow these easy steps

ok so first ur gunna need some things like

Tools:
1) 13 mill socket (maybe a 12mill too mine had one 12 mill but it might just be mine lol)
2)socket extension
3)ratchet
4) a torque wrench but u can do it by feel with a ratchet
5)not required but i recommend u have a tarp or something the oil wont go through(for under your car when u start getting dirty) and some old towels for (u can get old towels at lifeline )
6)razor for removing gaskets
7) a good shower and some good hand cleaner to clean ur hands and possibly hair lol ;P

Parts:
1)dextron III oil (dosent mater what brand what ever floats your boat)
2) a auto transmission filter kit (comes with new filter and gasket, could be cork or paper or ruber depends on what you buy)
3) and some lucas stop slip if you want (its good stuff makes ur oil last longer and helps shifting and stops slipping(duhhh )
4) and some brake cleaner (its a solvent) its really good to clean the pan out with out leaving residue like degreaser

FILE0043.jpg

PROCEDURE:

1)Ok start with getting some oil out before u take off the pan to do that you will need to take off the out put line from the transmission to the oil cooler inside the radiator and that will be on the bottom of the radiator above the bottom radiator hose

2) once that is off u might need some one to direct the oil cooler hose( so the black one) into a bucket while u start the car and let it run while it pours into the bucket and when it starts to bubble or spray like crazy turn off the car

3) then chock the rear wheels and jack the car up and place jack stands in the appropriate positions(front side probably better) (or use ramps but u will have to do step one and two while it is on the ramps )

4) then get under the car and start undoing the (16) 13 mill bolts holding the pan on (they wont be on very tight just a little nip and they should be lose and u can undo them with your fingers with or with out the socket and extension )

5) when u are undoing the bolts u will have to hold the pan up pushing it against the transmission while u undo the last few and when they are undone try keep it level and put it on the ground (its a good idea to undo the bolts on the opposite side to u are first so its easier when u hare holding the pan in one hand and undoing the bolts with the other )

6) once the pan is off take the old filter off and remove the rubber seal(this is stuck in reall good so it may take some time ) empty the oil into the bucket u used before and use a razor blade to remove the gasket and any old sealant that may be there as-well and wipe the magnet on the pan and then use the Brake cleaner to clean the pan( and if u want grab the shifter and move it up n down from 1st to park and it will loosen some oil too)

7)then once all finished there get under the car with the new filter and rubber seal tap the new seal in with a hammer and put the filter in and then u put the pan on with a new gasket

8) the bolts should be torqued at 11nm but u can just do it by feel ...like me :spot on:

9) once all back together degrease and gerni (if u got one ) and fill up with and aditives u gunna put in then oil should take 4.8l but if u got any aditives in there start with 4 liters and top up till its at full cold

10)and then run till TRANSMISSION OIL IS HOT not the engine (u may need to go for a drive ) and then re check and ad if required and check for leaks when u add and in a weeks time check the level again

NOW ! all done it should take you about an 2 hours took me an hour and a half (but im an apprentice and know my way around a bit more ) could take you guys longer maybe not :spot on: :D best of luck guys... and maybe girls haha

Last edited:

aussiepride94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 3.8
if there is anything i left out just tell me and ill add it into the post and ill upload some more photos if needed :) just gimmie time

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Well done mate.A lot of people change their engine oil and filter,and forget about the auto trans filter which is just as important I think,and its not hard to do. If you can change the engine oil,you can change the trans filter.The only thing I do differently to you is the way I fit the new filter seal.I push the new seal onto the filter,put some clean transmission fluid on the new seal to help it go into the filter locating hole,then push the filter and seal together up into the filter locating hole.Ive done quite a few of these now,and Ive never had a problem doing it this way,but as long as she works,then thats the main thing.Good stuff mate.Cheers.

aussiepride94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 3.8
yeah mate it is easy lol thanks for the extra add there probbly makes it easyer to do:):spot on:

mwemy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator
never EVER let the gearbox run out of oil whilst its running, thats including in park.... so avoid the first step at all costs, just take the lines off and blow them out id say

RoboticCherry-Coke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S1
How often should this be done? I have never done mine but up until not long ago my car was serviced at the local holden dealer so I assume they would have done it at every big service.

baza

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss 2003 auto sedan
How often should this be done? I have never done mine but up until not long ago my car was serviced at the local holden dealer so I assume they would have done it at every big service.
i was once told by an auto transmission shop that is best to service trans every 2 years or 20 thousand kms .

two-bit

old enough to mang better
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S series II
cheers man hoping to do my tranny this weekend god knows when it was last done, is it worth putting the stop slip stuff in? does it help with clunking?

aussiepride94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 3.8
well stop slip made it a lil better i guess but im not sure about clunking lol but servicing it should make it better and stop slips like 18 buks a bottle so wouldent hurt btw dont take out the old filter seal its a bitch to get out and back in lol just leave it if u havent got alot of tools it will be fine if u leave it

aussiepride94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 3.8
and i ran mu car whil it was running with the lines off it dident do anything so its fine to do not liek ur pingin it just idling n it takes like 4 sec lol