Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to change the transmission oil and filter?

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Hi Ricey, ssv183 raised an important point. In addition to my other questions, how do I then fill the pan with fluid and from where?

Just did a bit of research about the transmission filter and I assume I need to pick up a filter kit and the filter would sit in the pan. I would appreciate any step by step advice about the process you can provide so I don't stuff this up.

Again as always, i appreciate your advice.

Cheers

Is yours a 4 or 5 spd?

Joey24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Thanks mate. It is a 4 speed. Could you please be a bit more specific about where is the fill plug and sump plugs or how they look like so i can check in the morning. i assume the plugs are near the pan?

Any chance of some pics of these plugs as I just cannot picture them at the moment?

Cheers

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Im assuming 5spd as Im sure all the 4spd have a dipstick.

You fill via the plug on the passenger side of the tranny just above the sump level. Again with the trans sump temps between 30-50degress the fluid should be level with the base of the fill hole.

Changing the filter is straight forward just pull it downwards and out, then push the new one in. Chuck some vaso on it to make it go in easier.

Takes about 7 litres of dex VI

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Thanks mate. It is a 4 speed. Could you please be a bit more specific about where is the fill plug and sump plugs or how they look like so i can check in the morning. i assume the plugs are near the pan?

Any chance of some pics of these plugs as I just cannot picture them at the moment?

Cheers

Sump plug will be in the base of the tranny sump and the fill plug will be on the passenger side towards the rear just above the sump. Actually I think they are torx bit plugs so you will need one of those if you dont have them..

Joey24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
It is definately a 4 speed as I have red dip stick titled transmission. So does that change how I go about filling and checking the fill level. Sorry if i am completely ignorant, but i assume i need to remove the dip stick and fill from there?

Cheers

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
It is definately a 4 speed as I have red dip stick titled transmission. So does that change how I go about filling and checking the fill level. Sorry if i am completely ignorant, but i assume i need to remove the dip stick and fill from there?

Cheers

Oh my bad I got confused answering two people haha

Yours will take 4.5-5litres, fill via the dipstick tube. Start off with 4.5 litres then add afterwards if neccessary.

•Start the engine and operate the vehicle for 15 minutes or until the transmission fluid reaches an operating temperature of 82-93°C (180-200°F).
•Park the vehicle on a level surface.
•With your foot on the brake, move the shift lever through each gear range. Pause for about 3 seconds in each range, ending in PARK.
•Apply the parking brake and let the engine idle for 3 minutes.
•Remove the transmission fluid level indicator. Wipe the indicator clean. Insert the indicator. Give the indicator a full twist in order to close.
•Wait 3 seconds and remove the indicator.
•Read both sides of the indicator. The fluid must be within the hot cross-hatched area using the lowest level reading.

Joey24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Perfect that makes complete sense. Just to confirm, my 4 speed Berlina does not have a sump plug and therefore to remove the fluid and filter I need to remove the fluid pan down.

Seems easy.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Correct, just lower one end first to drain some fluid out so it doesnt spill everywhere when youre lowering the pan.

Joey24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Seems easy and will do in the next day or so. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
No problem happy to help.