Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] How To Change Trans Fluid (PIC HEAVY)

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
It wasn't the cleanest job but if you take your time you can minimize the spillage.

I usually find starting at the back of the gearbox and undoing the bolts from the back, down the sides and towards the front, the pan will start to "hang" you can loosen off the bolts on the front of the pan and this will help the fluid drain out. Once all the oil that will come out has, i usually push the pan back up so it is sitting like it is bolted in, then remove the 2 or 3 remaining bolts and you can lower the whole pan into your collection tub, without it being full to the brim.

I'm not sure if that would make it any easier, I think it would actually be more fidgety.

If you're really having trouble you could but some gasket adhesive in each corner.

Technically you should be doing the bolts up from the middle not the corners to prevent the gasket from folding over its self.

If you put a bolt through a bolt hole on the top, and a bolt through a hole on the bottom of the pan and then lay the gasket over it, you wont have the issue of the gasket trying to move around. then once these are in, all the rest of the holes will line up.

Good writeup though man.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Great write up aussie.
Very impressed at the quality of the photos in a confined space.
(Rep given)

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Nice one Aussies. Rep added:)

Dropjeslover

**** happens
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
I started the engine a few moments (3 times for 5 seconds) whilst in Park, to really get all the oil out. The Torque converter holds up heaps of oil and there is some in lines from/to the cooler too. That spat out at least a few 100ml all over the driveway...

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
Like I said there is ways to do that, people usually get it out from the trans cooler but as mine was leaking and low already it wasn't necessary, I had to put 6.5 liters in.

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
Very good I have been too scared to try this myself and replace some auto trans parts maybe I'll give it a go.
Tried to give rep but the site won't let me rep you again.

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
Haha thanks yea give it a go. It's really easy.

My car still smells a bit because I got fluid and degreaser all over the exhaust

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
Do you have any idea where the Pressure Control Solenoid and Vehicle Speed Sensors are?
Or can anybody show me in the picture of the trans without the pan?
Thanks in advance. Mine came up in error codes a while ago and I got them in the mail