Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VY] How to change transmission filter and fluid.

tHe_sTiG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Thanks for this thorough write-up mate! Does this also apply to the VZ? Will be of great help for me in the future. I'm sick of the GM service center ruining my car and charging me heaps for their "service". Just wondering... is this easier said than done? I am no mechanic, and yet this doesn't seem to be too difficult... I suppose I just need the right tools and plenty of time.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Should be the same for a VZ, just check that the fluid is DEXRON III.Not many tools needed, just a socket set.

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Very good tut. I used petrol rather than water to clean the pan since it dries much faster.

It stumped me as to why there was no drain plug either.

Last edited:

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
I've since discovered that the reason for Holden not adding a drain plug is so that the pan MUST be removed and then chances are the filter will be changed as well. If it was just a matter of undoing a drain plug, then filters may not be replaced.

Jaymz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
I managed to get myself organised and get the photos of types of fluid uploaded.

This photo is of what the fluid looks like straight out of the bottle:

This photo is of what the fuild looks like after ~50,000Kms on the clock:

This is a photo of what the fluid looks like when the transmission is slipping:

If your fluid looks like the last photo, you have a serious problem with your transmission and you need to get it looked at asap.

Here is a photo of all three next to each other for reference:

Cheers!

Last edited:

Jaymz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
hmm, can you guys see the photos? I can't but i am not sure if it is my computer or not. :S

Updated now, working. IT brain isn't working at the moment!

Last edited:

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
No, Jaymz, the photos didn't come up.

V

Vzniko

I stuck my finger up into it yesterday and tried to pull it out. It isn't a normal 'o' ring, but that's what it's called in the service kit. looks like this:View attachment 116397

Aparently it can be removed with long pointy-nose pliers, but I can't see how.
When you're under there and have the filter out, you'll be able to tell if the new filter feels firm when pushed into place.
Like I said, I have still got the original 'o' ring in and it seems fine.

It is a rubber object with a metal band around the outside, about 20mm in diameter and 10mm long.

BTW, I put all the photos on the How-to as attachments, so if you click on them, they will show up larger and clearer.

IT took me 3-4 hours to figure out a way to remove that O ring from there. If it is in place just don't worry about it (it is not worth the trouble). I had to change it, because I tried a million ways to remove it, and I had totally destroyed it. Used pliers, screws, knives, finger, hooks etc! I finally took it out by using a very very thin flat screwdriver and gently using a small hammer to bend it, then pulled it out with a pointy nose pliers.
The problem is that the new one is also so hard to get in, as the hole is so tight. They surely must have a specific tool for that job. What I did, I found a nut that it is the exact same circumference as the 'O' ring, and using a hammer I banged it into place. That worked like a charm as it gives an even load of force around the O ring as so it does not bend. If it is still hard to get in, sticking it into the freezer for about 40min also helps as it shrinks the metal enough to make a difference.

Regarding the whole flushing procedure, 5L of oil is not a full flush. The way it has been shown here does NOT remove the oil from the torque convertor (I think). According to holden's specification for the VZ 4-speed auto (would assume other models are similar) for a DRY TRANSMISSION the trans oil capacity is 7.9L. 5L is only for a refill which I am assuming meaning the torque convertor fluid is not replaced. Please someone correct if I am wrong.

I believe this thread here explains a more comprehensive transmission flush https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/transmission-fluid-change.32283 I used the exact way shown on that thread, and worked like a charm. Also 5L of fluid was no enough (For me at least) when I checked from the dipstick it was below the minimum level.