Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] How To Change Your Wing Mirrors (May apply to most cars)

djdomohudson

Mad frogs
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Sedan / VE International Sportwagon
G'day happy muffin top children and petrol headed nuggets :)

I have coveted mirrors that match my paint code ever since I bought my car.
I thought the black ones were pretty scum.

PC030001.jpg

So while I was out today I happened to spy one and I bought it. Yes, one, but I'll get the other soon. The guy in the wreckers only had one so I got it off him cheap, $40.

PC030002.jpg

So I had a poke around the site and found not much of an explanation in to how to actually get them off. I watched a youtube of some american man with a weird accent take his off and I put two and two together. Then I rushed outside with my screwdriver and a camera to show you this lovely transformation!

Here goes.

What you'll need:
-Wing mirrors the same colour as your car, or new ones to replace yours if they are broken.
-A screw driver
-About an hour.

Step 1
You'll need to take off the inside door card to gain access to where the mirrors are bolted onto the car. Read THIS article and follow it. (Ignore the part about the speaker grilles).

PC030003.jpg

Step 2
Put your door card somewhere else and you'll be able to have a closer look at the back of the mirrors.
PC030004.jpg

Note the black circles pointing out the three screws that hold the mirror in place:
PC030005.jpg

Step 3
Unscrew these screws just a little so that you'll be able to undo the rest by hand.
PC030006.jpg

This is how long it is:
PC030007.jpg

You'll only need to unscrew it by hand a little bit and the rest (about 3 cm of it) will just come out of the hole.

Step 4
After you've removed the three screws and put them in a safe place, just pull the mirror outwards from the top.
PC030008.jpg

Step 5
You'll need to disconnect the wire loom by this clip marked in the circle.
PC030009.jpg

Step 6
Replace your new mirror, connecting the wire loom first.
PC030010.jpg

Step 7
Screw in your three screws, making sure the mirror is tight.
PC030011.jpg

Step 8
Check that it works!
PC030014.jpg

PC030015.jpg

FIN.
Now admire your work :)

PC030012.jpg

PC030013.jpg

Repeat for the other door, and retrace Step 1 to refit your door cards in place so that your car is back together and pretty.
Happy travels!

Last edited:

Luke52

Reaction score
Members Ride
'07 VZ Acclaim wagon.
Awesome write-up mate, great work!

xVTx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
Great write up mate, might have to change my dodgy passenger side one soon after seing this!

itsagixa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Good work mate, detailed writeups like this help all the new kids to the block

djdomohudson

Mad frogs
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the compliments guys! Hopefully I can get that other mirror soon and have a nicer looking car haha

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Great write up mate. I was gunna check the wiring in mine. The Gregories doesn't mention removing the door trim, just
the demister duct and the mirror trim cover. I will have to alow a bit more time now.

Kdouble

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina, CX8 Adventra
^^^^ If my memory serves me then that's right you just can just pull the demister duct off without having to touch the trim.

djdomohudson

Mad frogs
Reaction score
Members Ride
As far as I could tell, there was no getting access to those two lower screws without having to have a torque driver and then, the length of the screws themselves would make it difficult to remove them in the tiny hole you can find underneath the demister vent...?

djdomohudson

Mad frogs
Reaction score
Members Ride
Just dropped outside and pulled off the window vent and this is as much as you can see.

PC050001.JPGPC050002.JPG

The top screw is clearly accessible but the other two are beyond the door trim... So it'll have to come off. But this is on a VT. It may be different for say a VY or a VE..?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Just dropped outside and pulled off the window vent and this is as much as you can see.

View attachment 153671View attachment 153672

The top screw is clearly accessible but the other two are beyond the door trim... So it'll have to come off. But this is on a VT. It may be different for say a VY or a VE..?

Yep.....the same on my VT....the door trim has to come off.
Your mirror has been changed djdomohudson. Or did you remove it? The sticky insulation stuff has been removed.
When I checked mine, the insulation was totaly covering the screws and bolts.