Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How To: Changing Differential Oil (VZ)

IPCOlsenVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ Commodore Equipe
Differential Identification:

ID.jpg

Differential:

diff.jpg

1) Fill Plug (30mm)
4) Drain Plug (15mm)

Specified Fluid:

Fluid.jpg

Note: Castrol product information sheet (on their website) states that SAF-XA contains the additive 7098.

Tools:
• Fluid
• 7098 additive (if required)
• Sockets
o 15mm
o 30mm
• Torque Wrench / Ratchet
• Container (Min 2L)
• Thread Sealant
• Paper Towelling / Cloths

Operation:

1. Clean around the 2 plugs.

2. Take the vehicle for a drive, you will need to drive it longer than 20 minutes to get the fluid warm.

3. Park the vehicle on level ground.

4. Undo the filler plug. (insure that this done before the drain plug to not only equalise the pressure for better flow but also if you cant undo the filler plug once you’ve drain the fluid then you cant refill it.)

5. Loosen the drain plug, then slide the container beneath the differential, then completely unscrew the drain plug.

Note: You may what to wear eye protection as the oil will obviously be warm but will contain a metal.

6. Inspect and clean both plugs, if any are damaged, replace.

Flushing. (If not, go to step 13)

7. Refit drain plug. Torque specification: 30Nm.

8. Fill differential through the filler hole with an undiluted quantity of the recommended fluid (plus 7098 if required) until it flows back out the filler hole.

9. Refit filler plug. Torque specification: 30Nm.

10. According to Castrol’s website it states to drive the vehicle for a minium of 1 to 2 hours to achieve the most effective flushing.

11. While driving, stop and inspect diff to insure neither plugs are leaking.

12. Repeat steps 3-6.

13. Apply thread sealing tape to the drain plug.

Note: Thread sealant tape is not commonly used now days for sealing drain plugs. Other alternatives:
o Permatex High Temperature Sealant
o Permatex Performance Sealant
o Loctie Thread Sealer
o Gasket maker – Ultra Blue (Spoke to a guy who works in the servicing area at the local dealership and that’s what he stated is used.)

14. Refit drain plug. Torque specification: 30Nm.

Note: A waiting time may be necessary before the plug can be tighten to the correct torque settings and before fresh fluid can be poured back in, due to the thread sealer curing.

14. Fill differential through the filler hole with an undiluted quantity of the recommended fluid until it flows back out the filler hole. Be sure to add the 7098 additive if required.

15. Refit filler plug. Torque specification: 30Nm.

16. Clean up.

17. Drive vehicle and stop to ensure no leaks.

18. Dispose of used fluid properly.

Note: Filling the differential can be done via a tool/brand called tom thumb or similar device If the diff fluid container has a spout on the top, you will have to slightly bend the spout to fit it in the hole then lift it up to the fuel filter to pour the contents in.

Tips:

1. Make amble time (at least half a day) to complete this job as working on cars is never a simple procedure.

2. Before attempting this try and get under the rear of the vehicle to insure you will have enough room. I found it easier to lie on my stomach to work on the diff. My vehicle has FE2 suspension and I was able to do it.

3. You could jack up the car for more clearance but you might have to sacrifice an amount of fluid you can get out.

4. Ensure you are in good health as it can be strenuous, especially on your neck, back and knees.

5. Don’t rush…its only time.

6. Any doubts about the job, let a mechanic do it.

Disclaimer: Although this method follows the procedure in Holden’s servicing manual, I don’t take any responsibility for any injuries/damages that may occur from using this guide. I am not a trained mechanic nor have I worked extensively on cars.

More pictures:

P1040332.jpg

P1040341.jpg

Ultra blue was on the drain plug when I pulled it out.

IPCOlsenVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ Commodore Equipe
Its not a dealer manual, just a service manual anyone can buy from Holden.

FnomnaVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ Berlina
Did this on the VZ on the weekend. Seriously easier than an engine oil change! Don't know why I didn't do it with my VT.
The old oil was black and stank.

I didn't have a 30mm socket for the filler but it came off easy with an adjustable. Just meant I couldn't do it up very tight - is this ok?
All the supercheaps I've been to seem to be out of 30mm.

calay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
Can this thread be stickied please ????

VzVzVz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S ute
Do you think I could use 85w 140 diff oil for trucks in my LSD? Would it do any damage or lock the diff up?

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
incorrect oil will cause the load/friction surfaces of the gears to incorrectly mesh and be noisy and wear out
lsd additive if lsd MUST be added for this reason
if you have no other option (e.g breakdown somewhere) then i would go heavier rarther than lighter but not by too ridiculous amount but almost every car except fwd's dont go lighter!!!

sleek_vp

sleek_vp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute
no it wont do anything to your diff but protect it better iv been using castrol epx 85 140 in my vz since iv owned it and in any of the other rwd cars iv owned