Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to check if you inlet manifold gasket is leaking?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
pressure test the cooling system, if the pressure drops and you can't see any water on the outside of the engine, chances are it's leaking internally.
does the coolant level drop? and you have to refill it often
if there water in the oil or oil in the water?

jackvanlawick

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VP Series 2 (Executive)
nah the coolant level only drops in the reservior tank... and there no water in the oil/ oil in the water.

the car doesn't splutter or anything. it runs really well to be honest, just got a case of the dissappearing coolant from the reservior tank... i just assumed it was because i didn't bleed the system after draining it thats all.

thanks anyway

somefool

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
1991 VN 'S', 1997 Ford Laser 1.6
it could be. My valley gaskets are leaking: 3 methods have confirmed this.
-I lose a small amount of coolant in the reservoir bottle
-i can see green weeping from around the valley gasket
-I has an oil anaylisis done at work and they noted high levels of sodium indicating traces of coolant in the oil.

not enough to cause milk because the radiator is green and the oil is.. oily. But yes, dont write that inlet manifold gasket off as a possibility.

It too, runs very well, doesnt splutter or anything.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
even if you don't bleed it properly it will self bleed to an extent, coolant will disappear from the tank if the radiator level drops, that's why it's there, how often does it "disappear" and how much do you have to top it up?

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
its that common of a problem the only 2 questions you should ask is: how long have you owned the car, and when was the last time the inlet gaskets were done. its one of the first things i do to a vn vp when i buy it, cause its a not a matter of if but when it will start leaking.... how many k's on the engine?

jackvanlawick

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah well i've only had the car about 3-4 months. and i am unaware if the orignal owner had the gaskets replaced.

all i am currently aware of is that after i top up the reservoir tank it emptys within 2 days or so.

i bled the system last night and drove around for a bit. drove to work this morning and when i stopped i checked the levels and they were fine. but the biggest problem i have is that the hoses aren't pressurising at all. they get extremely hot but i can squeeze them as tight as i like. also my radiator cap is only 90kpa instead of the 135kpa it should be so i'm hoping by changing to the appropriate cap it will help the pressure and maybe my coolant will last.

might as well change the gaskets anyway to be sure.

how long do you think it will take me? just don't have a greggory's manual so i'd need to ask someone if they could scan in some pages for me...

jackvanlawick

Reaction score
Members Ride
edit: i've also ordered in a new thermostat + gasket, water pump, radiator cap and hose clamps.

next thing to order in is the inlet manifold gaskets. YAY :)) (note this is sarcasm haha)

also around 180,000kms on engine

would this be the gasket set i need to buy? it seems cheap as repco quoted me just over $100 for the gasket set..

http://holmart.com.au/online/prod935.htm

Last edited:

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
I think that might only be one of several gaskets you need. They are not the main manifold gaskets. When I did the job some years ago on my original VP motor the gaskets cost about $80 or 90. As I said I am running bars leaks in my replacement motor (VR) and that has solved the problem for over a year. Makes your coolant dirty brown but it can help. How come you bought a lower pressure radiator cap?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
intake gaskets set costs about $20, sounds like it's going through a fair bit of coolant... replacing with the higher pressure cap may make it worse, if it actually pressurises more it may force the water out where ever it is leaking faster.

if you can't find a cheap gasket set locally, try this ebay seller, i've got a few things from him and postage is usually 5-10 days from the US to vic, quality of the items are great also, haven't had any issues with the victor reinz stuff.

Chevy Buick Olds Pontiac 3.8 Intake Gasket Kit 90-95 | eBay

Last edited: