Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] How to - convert timing cover/water pump bolts to metric. 304, 253, 308

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E..VF2 redline W375.. 200 series landcruiser
Ok so after trying to order new bolts from holdens for my timing cover and water pump i found out that they can't supply a full set and what they could supply was something silly like $160 for only half the bolts. So i got one of those hotblitz sets and found out there not worth the steel there madde of when 2 of them stripped before reaching torque. So i thought to myself why not drill them out and convert them all to metric because there a lot cheaper (think i payed about $20 all up) and easy to find the right lenght.

Here is the kit it got:
Metric M8 it comes with everyting you need to install the coils. Also comes with 3 different lenght coils for different depth holes.

P2140005.jpg

You will also need :
Drill
Tap wrench
Masking tape
Tapping oil
Hammer

P2140006.jpg

STEP 1.
I started with the 2 holes at the bottom of the water pump these are the ony to bolts that screw into the timing cover. Simply use the drill that comes with the kit and drill out the the old thread. Be careful not to drill right through the cover.

P2140007.jpg

STEP 2.
Clear all the swarth from the hole and apply some cutting fluid (i just used CRC). Use the tap that comes in the kit and a tap wrench to form the new thread making sure it goes in square.

P2140009.jpg

STEP 3.
Select the right lenght coil insert for the depth of the hole making sure there is enough room to snap the driving tab off one the coil has been inserted.

P2140010.jpg

STEP 4.
Place the coil insert on the driving tool so that the driving tab goes into the thread first and screw the coil all the way in so that the coil is below the surface by 1/4 to 1/2 of a turn. then use the rod that comes with the kit insert it into the tread and tap with a hammer to snap the driving tab off.

P2140012.jpg

P2140011.jpg

STEP 5.
Once you have done the 2 in the timing cover its time to do the holes in the block. use masking tape to cover everything so no swarth goes into the motor. My motor was out of the car so that made it a lot easier but it would still be possible to do it with the motor in.

P2140014.jpg

P2140015.jpg

STEP 6.
Drill them out the same as before and insert the coils. Make sure all the threads are clean and that all the driving tabs have been removed. Then just bolt up the timing cover like normal after getting the bolts you need.

1x M8x90mm long
5x M8x70mm long
1x M8x60mm long
2x M8x50mm long
2x M8x40mm long
1x M8x30mm long
*Lenghts may vary from motor to motor

P2140016.jpg

Hope this helps someone like it did me.

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
Why you no post this a few months ago? I got myself the hotblitz kits myself. but ran into issues with taking the old bolts out. Need a new timing belt cover now aswell. (was just going to replace waterpump) so waiting to get myself one of those. So im yet to use the new bolts, If I have no luck. defiantly trying what you did. Cheers, also where can I find them?

shifty6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 5spd
why do you need the helicoils?
why not just drill and tap?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E..VF2 redline W375.. 200 series landcruiser
didnt want to drill the holes bigger on the ally timing cover and make it weak. this way it keeps the same size holes and the treads will be stronger because of the helicoils.