Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to determine brake pad wear

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
When you go for tyres and an alignment, just get them to check the pads for you.

As for all the other comments relating to changing a tyre....You'd be surprised the number of people, both male and female, that wouldn't even know what a jack and wheel brace look like, let alone know how to operate one.

Seeing he pays for the RACV, at least he's getting his monies worth with his membership, by getting a flat tyre changed...

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Simple tasks on vehicles should be part of gaining a licence to to drive on our roads.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Simple tasks on vehicles should be part of gaining a licence to to drive on our roads.

The ability to drive isn't one of the tasks required as part of gaining a licence to drive on our roads so I don't see why the ability to complete simple tasks on a vehicle should come into play.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

Going back when cars were just coming to be common place, you had to know how to strip and rebuild an engine....Now these days, you need a science degree to find out where the oil filler cap is and how to remove it without busting it....

Geez, some cars, you need the ignition key, just to open the bonnet.....(and it wasn't my car, didn't have the owners manual in the glove box, so I couldn't read that to find out how to pop it either).....So where is the line drawn?

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
I respect peoples' opinions, but I get my car regularly serviced with the guys who modified it, who are experts, so why does it matter that I'm not mechanically across the details of my car? If that's important to you, great, but for me I just want to drive it and enjoy it and leave the detail to people who know what they're doing.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Why bother changing a tyre yourself as it could be wet windy and cold, or blowing a hot northerly wind.
An Auto Club membership will mean someone else will come and do it for you ;)

That way you don't have to worry about taffic dangers, getting splashed by passing cars, vehicle slipping off a jack, etc, etc... and the Auto Club will assume all the risks :D

Expecting wheel changing to be part of license testing is taking it too far though basic vehicle safety checks could be included (you know, checking all lamps work, mirrors and windows are ok, etc) and may help reduce those unroadworthy POS's on our roads as excuses wont be tollerated.

But, i'd still recommend that all learn how to safely change a wheel should some need arrise in the odd occassion where the Auto Club can't get to you in a timely fassion. But never take short cuts and never ever use those tyre sealant cans on a wheel/tyre with a TPMS system as it will be a costly error... :eek:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I respect peoples' opinions, but I get my car regularly serviced with the guys who modified it, who are experts, so why does it matter that I'm not mechanically across the details of my car? If that's important to you, great, but for me I just want to drive it and enjoy it and leave the detail to people who know what they're doing.
You're sounding like Tom Cruise in Days of Thunder :)

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Once you get your pads changed next use your fluid reservoir to gauge wear. As they wear the level drops.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
My wife doesn't know how to change a tyre or pop the bonnet on her Outlander. She is not in the RACT either. If it ever did need the bonnet popping or tyre changing she would call me....

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
My wife doesn't know how to change a tyre or pop the bonnet on her Outlander. She is not in the RACT either. If it ever did need the bonnet popping or tyre changing she would call me....
Why not give her lessons?