Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to disable remote alarm button

3d602s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore
My VF remote key has a red button, when pressed, sounds the car horn three times. This is to help me locate my car in a car park. The trouble is that the button is pressed accidentally when the remote is in my pocket.
Can I disable this function?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
My VF remote key has a red button, when pressed, sounds the car horn three times. This is to help me locate my car in a car park. The trouble is that the button is pressed accidentally when the remote is in my pocket.

if you're pressing that sure you aren't also unlocking the car or popping the boot?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca

check in the mylink settings under vehicle with the vehicle running and see if there is anything like vehicle locator alert etc.

if you really want to get rid of it you can open the key and cut the bump off the red button so it wont contact the button or shave it down 1mm~2mm so it is not as sensitive.

key.jpg

3d602s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore
Thanks for that. How do I get the key apart?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Thanks for that. How do I get the key apart?

it splits in half, i normally start with a flat blade or screwdriver near the keyblade and work around until it pops open, just be careful of the circuit board inside as you work around the body of the key.
20200927-112115.jpg

20200927-112226.jpg

this video will give you an idea

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
I have trouble with the boot button being knocked when the car is so far out of my sight. Switching to a weaker battery dosn’t work. My key is still works from the same distance. (And yes it defiantly was a weaker battery. The Astra that I pinched the key battery from went from needing to stand next to the door, to a reasonable distance.)

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
check in the mylink settings under vehicle with the vehicle running and see if there is anything like vehicle locator alert etc.

if you really want to get rid of it you can open the key and cut the bump off the red button so it wont contact the button or shave it down 1mm~2mm so it is not as sensitive.

key.jpg
Instead of cutting it off or shaving it down and ruining it forever, just stick a small square of electrical tape on the circuit board under the button so the button doesn't make contact.
If you change your mind or the next owner wants to use the button, you can just remove the tape. No need to buy another fob

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Hmmm. I've had my Gen-F2 GTS key in my pocket for four years and never had a problem with that button. In fact I never knew it existed until I read your post. Go figure. Must give it a try tomorrow to see if it's working.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Instead of cutting it off or shaving it down and ruining it forever, just stick a small square of electrical tape on the circuit board under the button so the button doesn't make contact.
If you change your mind or the next owner wants to use the button, you can just remove the tape. No need to buy another fob

They are not that type of switch, they are a smd tactile switch and electrical tape wont stop the contact.
The type of contact you are thinking of is found in tv remotes etc.