Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How To Disable VE Seatbelt Alarm

GAMBLR

More trouble than u think
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
It definitely wasn't me. However, I wouldn't be surprised if my seatbelt alarm was actually faulty and in effect disabled itself.......

Cheerio.

lol and u have a senator! might think they'd be more refined and checked more...

There you go, just as I thought.

Are you a Holden tech? How bout I slip you $50 to do it for me? :whistling

:D problem solved

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
this chime shits me as well.

I hired an Omega from AVIS last year and every time I went over 20km/h the seat belt chime went off. That I wouldn't have too much problem with dealing.

On my Calais they seem to have done so differently. Anytime I crank the engine and idle it the chime starts going off.

Like many others I want to turn it off because I like to get in the car, start the engine and then make myself comfortable (mirrors, adjustments and all that BS). The seat belt is the last thing I do before taking off onto the open road.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
I agree. If it was to start chiming at 20-30 km/h, I could probably live with that. Problem is, mine starts randomly going off at anywhere between 5-15 km/h - not at the same speed every time. It doesn't go off at idle though like yours. Go figure! :bang:

...I do get about six chimes at startup but I didn't think that was seatbelt related.

PhantomVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV e2 Clubsport R8
This may seem obvious.. but i just pulled up the plastic casing from the bottom of the seatbelt clip, and as i thought, there is a couple of wires leading up to the clip. - Obviously when the buckle clips in there is a switch connecting these wires and disabling the alarm.

The chime doesn't really bug me too much, I'm sorta used to it by now. But surely you cut these wires before the clip and have them permanently connected? This should work as it would trick the seatbelt circuit into thinking it is constantly buckled it..

Has anyone tried it??

Hoping that's helpful, dave.

whitey66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Sedan
There you go, just as I thought.

Are you a Holden tech? How bout I slip you $50 to do it for me? :whistling

Yes,i'm a Holden Tech,i'm not allowed to deliberately turn it off,but if it was an accident .........
Holden jumped the gun on this,they thought it was going to be made a compulsory ADR requirement,but I don't think it ever was or maybe even ever will be.
Because it is a safety device it should not be disabled,and anyone who did so could be held liable if some idiot crashed without the seatbelt on.
These warning chimes are more anoying for mechanics than anyone,if I had it my way,i'd make them ALL illegal :) .
I never have a problem with any of the warning chimes when driving,but when i'm working on them in the workshop it's a different matter.

Supe

Supe
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais 6.0
I'd be careful cutting or shorting wires running to the seatbelt stalk because in come cars (more so in passenger seating) the air bags will only deploy if an occupant is in the seat, and the computer knows this by way of seat or seatbelt sensors. Just a thought!

BOY1236

Crazy dude in a V8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (4-speed auto)
I'd be careful cutting or shorting wires running to the seatbelt stalk because in come cars (more so in passenger seating) the air bags will only deploy if an occupant is in the seat, and the computer knows this by way of seat or seatbelt sensors. Just a thought!

I was just about to say that, but I guess the VE have two different systems for that ?

PhantomVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV e2 Clubsport R8

Hmm good point. But if shorting the wires, you would be tricking it into thinking somebody is always sitting there..

But who knows how it would be setup. Better to leave it to the experts probably.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
I think you've hit the nail on the head there Dave.

I too can't see the issue with shorting the wires. The computer would think the belt is buckled, thus somebody is sitting in the seat, thus the airbags would still deploy as normal. And the best bit - no seatbelt chime when driving at low speed! :dance:

Reaper did you say you were going to try this for us? ;)

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
We need someone to volunteer as a guinea pig! :yeah:
I hope no one is looking at me thou...