Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How To Do A Burnout

Gobbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim Series II
well in my new VS.....i cannot do a line lockie which is gay cos all my other mates with VS's can and when i go to do it.....well yeah hehe
umm anyway i put my foot lightly on the brake....put it into 1 on the auto and put the pwr switch to ON.......then bag it up a bit then floor it......it does not rev past 2000 RPM.......
my mate said it was the ABS doing something or rather so i took the abs fuse out and tryed and still no good......so not wanting to ruin the car or anything i put it back in then went home (got chased away by a D Car....)
so anyway next morning getting ready for work im thinking about it......so i reverse out of the driveway......take abs fuse out.....foot fully on brake.....into 1 pwr on and floor it and in about 2 seconds i see smoke out back of my rear view mirror and that lovely smell of smoke so im like uhh wtf so i drive off to work...
next weekend i do the same thing....following some VL Turbo's out bush to a privatly owned skid pan......the vl turbo's get up there and me thinking ok i sorted out this problem get on there and it still dont rev past 2000 rpm......
so i just watch for the remainder of the evening.......so next morning i do much of the same and reverse out the driveway......and plant a phat skid again.....so much smoke it went in the house and mum came out .......but yeah.......why wont it do a line lockie/burnout on the occasions i have described.......

both times i smoked it i had full brake.....full accelerator in 1st gear with pwr on.....ABS fuse out........
yeah any ideas ?

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
your car has stage fright, lol, no i got no idea's, it sounds a bit funny there, i would probably sugest not trying to do them, removing the abs isnt realy a good idea anyway, it's there for a reason. sorry dude, just think something is being done wrong there.either that, or you got transmistion problems

cheers
garth

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
hey guys, I know this has nothin to do with the VR/S.. but I have a smiliar problem

There's a VH commodore with a pretty tired blue engine, and a V6 VP Exec sitting up our driveway, both manual trans.

I love driving the VH cause it has the sound when revving (sport exhaust) but when at an intersection, there's always the temptation to leave a small gesture on the road, as I'm a learner, I can sorta get away with it, when my father is in the car.

How is it possible to get a real good line on the road, with a Manual transmission?

I know it's a real stupid question, but I'm inexperienced, im on my L's to learn :\
- oh yeah, I have had the VP going sideways one time at school to impress a mate, but that was when the road was only just partly damp, so no smoke evolved

Thx

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
ok i shouldnt have done this but just for a test i thaught id take my vs for a spin
so i did standstills not a problem
nosehangers no worrys (nose hanger in reverse at a reasonable speed throw the wheel in preffered direction during front spin around change gear and floor it making back end light up) looks impressive and you probably have seen it in movies.
anyway thinking that was fun i decided to do a few donuts and realised when you have lsd (not the drug) its very hard to keep the car from spinning out but i have concoured that now.
now to your problem i have no idea but it was fun saying that i can do it no worries at all

nvs78

Reaction score
heya, ive got a vs executive, and i can do the stuff ur wanting to do no worries, as can a mate with a vr ... however, he told me of one of his friends who has a vs berlina... and for some reason its a part of the system, and berlinas apparently have great difficulty doing stand still line locks n stuff like that, dunno why, but for some reason they built that into the engine management it seems.. *shrug* ?? ..
thats what he said anyway, if its wrong, i'm not the f00l

Gobbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim Series II
hehe maybe its something to do with a feature on the acclaim above that the executive doesnt have
only thing i can think of is IRS but that isnt anything

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Just been reading this thread, it could be that the Berlina, Acclaim actually weigh more which is preventing them. I mean it's bugger all difference between them but it's either that or one of the following perhaps.

The engine is a little worn, type of road you are trying it on or even the tyres just grip well to the road?

One of my neighbours took their dads car out for the night (VR Exec) and it simply refused to do a burnout until we gave it a little helping hand by lifting it up.

Whack a bit of veggie oil down under the tyre, it is a guaranteed tyre burner as we found out in the old Mitsubishi L300 van mum used to have.

chuck

Reaction score
I'm not big noting myself but a couple of years back I took out third at queensland burnout championships V8 class at archerfield (believe it or not ).
h
Here's a little trick, full lock the front wheels (any direction) pump the brakes once release, then apply them just enough to hold the car at a stall that will make the front brakes bite more then the back then stand on it if it doesn't spin ease off the brakes a little then when it starts to spin straighten the wheels then take your foot off the brakes and you'll slowly start to take off and it should redline ,smoke like mad ,and leave that black mark you desire.
Let me know if that helps.
By the way the car I won in was a 308 powered LC torana with no rear brakes full cage 4.44 diff gears turbo 400 box popped 2 brand new 185-14 retreads in 1.2 minutes cool .

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VPII Calais
my old stockie wheels on my VP calais would rip burn outs up so easily its not funny.

i put on some ultra wide 16s and now it won't rip them up.

i dont think its too good to do it thow, youll end up blowing a tranny or diff and then youll be seeing lots of smoke!