Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How To Do Timing?

clubsport_replica

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt clubsport replica
i should be able to help ya out, what have ya done ie why does it need timing?

RibSmasherAu

RibSmasher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh V8 Project And Vn Family
last owner wanted to keep the distributor and removed before i picked up car i ended up talking him into giving it to me with the car so the timing needs to be done i could get a mechanic but if i can do it myself i would like to.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
In brief...
Wind the motor over to TDC (Top dead centre), many ways to do it, but if the Harmonic Balancer hasnt slipped its the easiest way to find TDC.
Grab your dissy and match the mark on the rotor button up with the mark on the dissy, but turn it abit off, as when you fit it, it will turn one direction. You may have to fiddle around to get it to fit so the marks line up.
Once its in, wire it up, put the bracket on it loosely. Clean the timing marks up on the Harmonic Balancer, and grab your timing light. Run the engine, and turn the dissy till the timing marks on the balancer and light line up to where you want it. You only have to turn the dissy a bees dick each time. Once its timed up do the bracket up tight and hook up your vacuume advanced (time it with vacuum advanced plugged)

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It has to be on TDC on the compression stroke as well. The crank will make two revolutions when a cylinder fires, one for compression one for exhaust. Take the spark plug out of number one and hold your finger over the hole as you turn the engine over by hand, when you feel the pressure blow past your finger, that is the compression stroke. Here is the correct position and firing order for the 308 breaker point ignition. Firing order Holden V8 and 6 - Holdenpaedia

clubsport_replica

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt clubsport replica
yeh as not an abba fan said there are two strokes, i had read about moving the balancer to tdc then put dizzy in with rotor pointing to one... i was half right lol just 180deg out so pulled the dizzy up and spun it around so it was pointing exactly 180deg the other way and i was on the money....