Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to drain holden ve sedan fuel tank

mwood

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Has anybody drained their fuel tank in their ve.. The fuel in my tank has become contaminated because of my wife putting in about 8 litres of diesel I think it was a from a jerry can I had laying in the shed possibly 2 stroke mower fuel.... The car starts but doesn't not idle or run so I believe injectors are receiving fuel but not firing properly... So back to my question how do I drain the fuel tank so I can fill it up again with fresh good petrol??

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
if it's two stroke just fill it up with 98 ,

if it's diesel , you should able to do the same , if it's diluted enough , it'd be 1 to 9 now ,
just fill up every 1/4 tank or less to keep the dilution .

or try to siphon out as much as possible the the diesel/petrol dilution will be greater,

probably the better option.

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
Depends how mechanically minded you are really?

Personally... I would disconnect the fuel line and run power from the battery to the fuel pump, let the pump do all the work.

Good luck.

P.S Replace ALL your fuel filters as well.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
The only way to fully drain the tank is to remove it from the car. That way you can also remove the fuel pump and ensure it is clear of the bad fuel.

If you do not do this removal you will have to pump as much of the the bad fuel out as possible using a hand pump suitable for flowing fuel.

Once you have pumped out as much as you can, you will need to add some fresh fuel to dilute what is left and then pump as much of that contaminated fuel mix out as possible. There may still be some bad fuel sitting in the fuel pump itself which is sitting inside the fuel tank.

The fuel lines from the tank to the injectors will also contain the contaminated fuel and these should be purged. Last you will have to clean the injectors.

I very much doubt from what you have described that you will be able to get the car running just by emptying the fuel tank and adding fresh fuel and nothing more. I would expect it will just continue to start and cut out as you described until you get rid of all the bad product from the fuel system, clean the injectors and begin flowing fresh clean fuel to the injectors.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Hooking up the fuel pump directly may cause issues as it is not a simple system. Rather delicate electronics in fact.
Consider removing the rear seat and cut a removable access portal to the fuel pump module. Remove module and inspect / clean everything with e85, use hand pump to empty all fuel out. Analyse the extent of contamination and replace filter / clean secondary sender.
Beware of toxic fumes, remember the fuel is a carcinogen and manage possible ignition sources.
Assuming your Omega is compatible, flush with e85 using a hand spray pump then empty and mop up the tank by hand, top with e85 initially as it will mix with / dilute either suspect contaminants better than petrol and work as well as most fuel system cleaners to clear the finer aspects of the system possibly without further disassembly.
Or pay Holden to remove tank as above for $500-$600 and flush ($100?) coz then you can put the blame / kick their butt if still broken.